Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed new flourescent lights in our shop and now the fm radio is full of static except for a couple of local, strong signal stations. Any ideas?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,931 Posts
Fluorescent lights don't generate frequency-modulated RF. Maybe try a better quality FM receiver?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,674 Posts
Move the radio.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have the same problem.supply house says I need a low power factor ballast, but unable to get one from manfucture.
That supply house guy is clueless.

Electronic ballast operates at a fundamental frequency of 20-40KHz and harmonics up to a few MHz can be generated which can interfere with the intermediary frequencies that fall within that range. If properly grounding the luminaire and re-locating the radio won't solve the problem, another approach is to move onto a magnetic or a hybrid ballast. A hybrid ballast is a magnetic ballast that cuts-off the cathode heaters to save energy once the lamps are started. They're used in health care facilities where HF drive interferes with medical equipment.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,674 Posts
In case no one was ever bothered, take a look at the bulk of your electronics. Read the words about interference on the back/bottom.

"This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
1. This device may not cause harmful interference, and
2. This device must accept any interference received, including any interference that may cause undesired operation."

In short, you're hosed.

·
Registered
853 Posts
In case no one was ever bothered, take a look at the bulk of your electronics. Read the words about interference on the back/bottom.

"This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
1. This device may not cause harmful interference, and
2. This device must accept any interference received, including any interference that may cause undesired operation."

In short, you're hosed.
Many electronics ballast are not FCC rated for residential use. To be proper, for residential installation, the ballasts should be FCC B rated for residential application. HPF and FCC B ratings are mutually exclusive.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,674 Posts
Many electronics ballast are not FCC rated for residential use. To be proper, for residential installation, the ballasts should be FCC B rated for residential application. HPF and FCC B ratings are mutually exclusive.

What about the radio, though?

·
Registered
853 Posts
What about the radio, though?
The radio should accept interference, although it shouldn't have to accept interference from unusual interference, which includes ballasts not rated for residential use in homes.

If the "shop" is in his garage, that would be a residential install.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts