Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I sell and install doors and I have a specialy license in the 2 counties I cover. I ask the customers if they want me to pull the permits, 90% of the time they say they will pull the permits. 80% of those times the customer has not pulled the permit. I still install the door, but lately I have been worried about getting caught and whos responsibility it falls on. So if a inspecter pulled up who would be the one stuck paying the fine. Also what typically happens in this situation? Keep in mind I am licensed. How much are the fines typically.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Right now I sell and install doors and I have a specialy license in the 2 counties I cover. I ask the customers if they want me to pull the permits, 90% of the time they say they will pull the permits. 80% of those times the customer has not pulled the permit. I still install the door, but lately I have been worried about getting caught and whos responsibility it falls on. So if a inspecter pulled up who would be the one stuck paying the fine. Also what typically happens in this situation? Keep in mind I am licensed. How much are the fines typically.
You as the contractor are Required to pull the Permit, it is illegal as a licensed contractor to work under a Homeowners permit, unless you are a direct employee.

Where did you get your license?

You as the contractor are assumed to be the profesional and know what you are doing, you are the one who would be responsible for paying the fines.

Fines are usually triple the cost of the permit, but since the economy has gone into the crapper, many Cities have added a lot of other fees and raised permit costs.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Yes, they are a structural element, they have to have a Florida Product approval code and be inspected.

Must be the state has a different view than the rest of us. Could you sefine structural to us. I have never heard of a door described as such.:blink:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Must be the state has a different view than the rest of us. Could you sefine structural to us. I have never heard of a door described as such.:blink:
In Florida we have wind issues, if the doors or windows do not meet windload requirements, and they get breached, you can lose the whole structure.

Plus they have to meet egress requirements as well.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
In Florida we have wind issues, if the doors or windows do not meet windload requirements, and they get breached, you can lose the whole structure.

Plus they have to meet egress requirements as well.

I am aware of Flas problem, but structural? Mis spoke?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You as the contractor are Required to pull the Permit, it is illegal as a licensed contractor to work under a Homeowners permit, unless you are a direct employee.

Where did you get your license?

You as the contractor are assumed to be the profesional and know what you are doing, you are the one who would be responsible for paying the fines.

Fines are usually triple the cost of the permit, but since the economy has gone into the crapper, many Cities have added a lot of other fees and raised permit costs.
From the counties? Why?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Installing doors is probably a "specialty trade" in FL. No "contractors license" is needed. Only a business license.

Here homeowners can pull permits for specialty trades, but they must list them in the permit application. I usually have to fax over a copy of my license when they do.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Installing doors is probably a "specialty trade" in FL. No "contractors license" is needed. Only a business license.

Here homeowners can pull permits for specialty trades, but they must list them in the permit application. I usually have to fax over a copy of my license when they do.
Wrong, it requires a trade license.

If it is an interior door, there is a specialty carpentry license for that, but you still have to take a competency test to get the license.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Installing doors is probably a "specialty trade" in FL. No "contractors license" is needed.
Wrong, it requires a trade license.

If it is an interior door, there is a specialty carpentry license for that, but you still have to take a competency test to get the license.

all specialty contractors have to take a competency test

:whistling
copied from pinellas county construction licensing boards website www.pcclb.com

FINISH CARPENTRY CONTRACTOR
“Finish Carpentry Contractor” means a specialty contractor whose services are limited to the execution
and performance of contracts requiring the experience, knowledge and skill necessary for the onsite
fabrication, assembling, handling, erection, installation, dismantling, adjustments, alteration, repair and
servicing involving wood, light gauge steel, and allied construction materials.
The scope of such work shall include: paneling, interior and exterior trim, cabinets, bookshelves,

shelving, wood flooring, stair treads, risers, handrails, interior windows and doors
. The scope of such

work shall include non-structural framing, installation of exterior windows and doors involving only
existing openings and that are incidental to the wood construction work and shall not include any
structural modifications. The scope of such work shall comply with all plans, specifications, codes,
laws and regulations applicable.
The scope of such work shall include the work of Cabinet Contractor.
The “Finish Carpentry Contractor” shall not contract for any work of another trade that is included within
the scope of any other licensed contractor except as allowed under the cabinet contractor scope of
work.

(Established 1/21/03)

·
Registered
87 Posts
here in Pinellas County, FL you have to have a license to do anything :clap:

The licensing board has people who drive around to sites and issues fines to the homeowner/builder and the people working for anybody caught working without a license, unless you are on the payroll for a licensed contractor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If a permit is required, then you as a contractor shouldnt even be asking the homeowner if they want a permit. You should pull it automaticaly- its the law!

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
It sounds impressive - I think we have something like 23 or 24 different licenses here in Pinellas - (California has around 46!) but like anything political, it's mainly about the money. The more licenses required, the more money raked in.

You should see just the extra TIF charges. (Impact fees). Over.........$22,000 (per 1,000 feet of land use) .......for a drive-in. Last I saw, hotels were charged around $3,000 per room. Then all the water & sewage impact fees... and all the environmental charges on top of that... not to mention the testing fees. It goes on and on.

And pray to God you never have to trim any mangrove trees! That task, alone will cost you months of hassle, and an arm and a leg in coin.

We have a lot of "historical districts", too. What a nightmare when you get into THAT mess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did take a test for Siding, Windows, and Doors and Business Law. The funny thing is they never went over the legal issues on who has to pull the permit. The test were a prometric exam. The tests are required to get a specialty license.

So to clarify, in Florida I must pull the permit myself?

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I did take a test for Siding, Windows, and Doors and Business Law. The funny thing is they never went over the legal issues on who has to pull the permit. The test were a prometric exam. The tests are required to get a specialty license.

So to clarify, in Florida I must pull the permit myself?
Yes.

Just to make sure call the building department and tell them you have been having the homeowner pull the permit for you.

Do you have a set of Code books or a Contractors manual?

If not you should get a set and read them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think it's a good idea to call the county and tell them that the home owners have been pulling the permits. The jobs were inspected and passed so why try to stir up some problems for myself. Moving on I will start to pull permits and add it to the price. I also will be calling the county and ask them it is true that the home owner cannot pull the permit if I'm installing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts