Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at taking the Florida licensure exams for either the A-AC or Mechanical and would like to heart opinions on which company offers the best services for a prep course including the books. I know from experience not all are created equal and would like to make sure I am signing up with a reputable company that I will benefit from before taking the two state exams.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
cam tech construction school, these guys know what to do, i have used them twice, once to prep for the tests, then for my ceu's, they get my vote all the time

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cam Tech is good. Before going for the Mechanical, have you had experience installing:
· Boilers/ pressure vessel systems
· Gas, air, vacuum, oxygen, nitrous oxide, ink, and chemical line piping
· Piping and installation of gasoline tanks
· Condensate piping
· Piping for lift stations
· Low temperature refrigeration
· Direct digital control wiring

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lisa,
I am currently a mechanical engineer with just over 15 years experience in commercial design and construction. I have decided recently to open my own mechanical contracting business. So no I have not personally installed the aforementioned systems but I have designed and performed the construction administration on more than my share of them over the years.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have you been employed by a CMC and have at least 1 year as a foreman directly for that company qualified by that CMC?

Unfortunately there is a misconception regarding how experience can be gained... Since an engineer can not legally have control of the means and methods of construction, and that is the experience they require, you can not gain experience under an engineer. Remember that while they do not request W-2s on an application, the intent is that your experience is as a W-2 employee or owner under the proper license holder.
If you state that you worked under a CMC at the same time you hold your own Engineering license with a company you own, they will obviously question if you took that time off from your own company to work a full time job for someone else. Remember they consider 1 year of experience as 2000 hours of work...

You can PM me if you would like to talk private.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts