Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a call yesterday informing me that my Certified Residential Contractor application was going to be going before the Board for approval on Jan 9th at 4pm. I'm trying to qualify for the exam exemption, since I am licensed and took an exam in another state. I was also given the address to the location (in a voicemail).

My question is, am I expected or required to attend? What is the normal protocol?

Thanks!

Amanda

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.. thanks for the reply.. I just didn't want to look silly showing up if I wasn't expected to.

I'm licensed in GA. I'm working for a FL developer/builder now, learning the FL specific codes, but it would be REALLY nice not to have to sit for that exam!

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
I wouldn't count on getting out of the exam. It's my understanding they rarely if ever allow a "license transfer". It is possible , I just. Don't know of anyone that has successfully done so. Plus they will likely want you to take and pass Florida business law portion.

And the other part YES. Absolutely attend, I was called to appear before the board while getting my license, and anyone that was called and didn't show automatically got denied or put into next meeting category. They say it's recommended, but it sure seemed mandatory. Just be prepared to answer anything and everything about you/your business both past and present. Work history, credit ratings and whatever else they may deem questionable.

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't count on getting out of the exam. It's my understanding they rarely if ever allow a "license transfer". It is possible , I just. Don't know of anyone that has successfully done so. Plus they will likely want you to take and pass Florida business law portion.

And the other part YES. Absolutely attend, I was called to appear before the board while getting my license, and anyone that was called and didn't show automatically got denied or put into next meeting category. They say it's recommended, but it sure seemed mandatory. Just be prepared to answer anything and everything about you/your business both past and present. Work history, credit ratings and whatever else they may deem questionable.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Oh, wow... great info... thanks! Won't get my hopes up, but I'll cross my fingers!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Why would you want the Residential license?..you are going for a CRC correct?...go for the CBC license..Building license...when I was going for mine I debated the CRC and CBC license..same test basically and the list of things you can't do with the CRC license is longer than the list of things you can do...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would you want the Residential license?..you are going for a CRC correct?...go for the CBC license..Building license...when I was going for mine I debated the CRC and CBC license..same test basically and the list of things you can't do with the CRC license is longer than the list of things you can do...
Well, I don't really have any experience in commercial, so I thought CRC would be the best route for me, since all of my experience is in residential. The FL DBPR website is a little difficult to navigate to get information about the different classes, so I really wasn't sure how much more experience I would need to go for the CBC instead....it is something to think about. Thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I did not have a ton of commercial experience at all but slowly and steadily now I do..and it is better than residential...there is nothing worse than meeting a good referral customer and finding out the work he is willing to pay you for is out of your area of license expertise..think about it..commercial can be as simple as having a maintenance contract with an office building to hire all the subs required to make emergencey repairs..

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
I received a call yesterday informing me that my Certified Residential Contractor application was going to be going before the Board for approval on Jan 9th at 4pm. I'm trying to qualify for the exam exemption, since I am licensed and took an exam in another state. I was also given the address to the location (in a voicemail).

My question is, am I expected or required to attend? What is the normal protocol?

Thanks!

Amanda
Here's some good information from the DBPR for you Amanda. :thumbsup:

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr.../cilb_faqs.pdf
5. I just received notice that my application is going to be reviewed by the board. Do I have to be present at the meeting?

Maybe! If you are applying to qualify an additional business entity and your application has been forwarded to the board for review, you must be present at the time your application is reviewed pursuant to rule 61G4-15.0021(5), F.A.C. If you are application is not for qualification of an additional business entity then your presence is not required.

Please note that while your presence may not be required under all circumstances, it may be to your benefit to attend the scheduled hearing to address any questions or concerns that the board may have regarding your application.
38. Do the Florida Statutes provide for endorsement of out-of-state licenses?
Yes. You must demonstrate successful completion of a licensing examination that is substantially equivalent to the Florida examination or you must demonstrate that you have an out-of-state license, and that the licensure requirements were substantially equivalent to Florida’s current requirements. Please note that endorsement application requirements are very stringent and rarely get approved by the Construction Industry Licensing Board.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good morning,

What you are trying to do is called a reciprocal license. While they do have an application that is for this type of procedure, they do not ever approve.

The state of Florida requires that to reciprocate, you must prove that the exam you took is substantially similar to the one that Florida offers. Since both exams are private and not for the public to view, this is impossible to prove.

The state also believes that no other state comes close to their requirements.

I just want to give you a heads up, I have never once seen them approve an exam waiver for Construction Licenses in Florida based off of reciprocity of exams.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Good luck!
Lisa

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking that it is not going to happen, but I'm going to go to the Board meeting on Thursday, anyway, if only for the experience of going.

Looks like I'm going to have to dust off my study materials and get to work on prepping for the test! :/

Thanks Lisa!

Amanda

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just remember that any time that you go in front of the board, they have the right to drill you about anything they want. The experience will be one area that they will most assuredly discuss.

For a Residential License:
  • Show 48 months on jobs with at least 12 months as a foreman.
–or-

• A combination of college and experience totaling at least 48 months with at least 12 of those months as a foreman.

This experience has to be as a W-2 employee for the licensed contractor in the area that you worked. Also, they will want to ensure that you were on the job sites controlling the means and methods of construction.

For CRC you will need to show substantial responsibility in at least 4 of the following areas of residential construction including active and proven experience with:
o Foundation/Slabs
o Masonry walls
o Trusses
o Structural wood framing
o Column erection
o Formwork for structural reinforced concrete

If they are not satisfied then they can nix the idea of your getting a license in the future too without board review.

Just be careful what you say... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you make it to the meeting? I went in front of the board on the 9th to license a second entity, but didn't hear any discussion on reciprocity.
Yes, I was there. It was probably about 4:45 before I was in front of the Board, since my last name starts with a P. I was sitting in the second row all the way on the right, wearing a pink shirt and gray pants.

As expected, they denied it and also confirmed that they have NEVER given a license based on endorsement (as I knew, but whyyyyyy have the option, then?? ergh).

Oh, well. I was given the option to withdraw, instead of it being officially denied, so I did that. I got the feeling that was their only concern with my application, so I guess I'll have to study up and take the test. It's been 6 years since I've taken a licensing exam, so I guess I'll need to find some sort of class or seminar to freshen up :)

It was a good experience, though. I was a little nervous (I didn't know I would have to swear in to "testify"!), but I'm glad I went. And I feel that I made my case as well as I possibly could, so I have no regrets :)

How did yours go?

·
GC / EC
42 Posts
Mine went great. Some of the others didn't fare so well, especially those with legal issues.

The exams weren't bad. Between ordering books and receiving my license, the entire process took about four months.

Make sure to get tabs with your books - they are a life saver. I ordered everything (books, tabs and CD course) from ContractorClasses.com.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts