Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently sent in my application for my Florida state certified plumbing contractors license, and it came back to me (no suprise) with things that need to be fixed. I was hoping someone with experience with this could tell me what I need to change with my experience section to get my paperwork through. The letter I got said:

"The experience History form page was not completed correctly. Please revise this form to reflect experience in the installation, maintenance, extension and alteration of all plumbing fixtures and appurtenances in connection with sanitary drainage, venting, public or private water supplies, storm and sanitary sewer lines, water and sewer plants and substations, septic tanks, nitrous oxide piping, fuel oil, gasoline piping, tank and pump installation."

The things I listed on my application were:

Direct hands on and supervision of entire project start to finish of 1 and 2 story residential plumbing. DWV, water, sewer/septic.

Project manager and supervisor of entire project start to final inspection, DWV, water, sewer/septic of 1 and 2 story residential plumbing.

Project manager and supervisor of entire project start to final inspection of commercial new construction of 2 story DWV, water, sewer, 2500 lb grease trap.

Direct hands on new residential 3 story plumbing DWV, water, septic, rough in, top out, trim. Multiple residential and commercial projects hands on and supervisory.

I don't have experience in nitrous oxide piping, fuel oil, or gasoline piping. What can I do about that?
Sorry about the long post, I just want to get all the info I have up.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Going Up.
25 Posts
I've been through the application process 4 times and did all of my paperwork myself. I just looked at my CFC app PDF and from what I'm seeing, You might wanna add some "water supply piping", fixture installation", and "fuel gas piping" on there and you should be good to go.

Any questions feel free...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Add some specific addresses also... if you were a PM make sure you include all the dates. Add way more than you think is necessary. Fill both pages full, go back 10 years of provable experience. List high profile jobs that they may know the name of just by reading it if you have done any... List all the builders you worked for on there projects... go completely overkill...

I did mine myself for Roofing and it went threw the first time without any deficiencies....

·
Going Up.
25 Posts
I dont think going overkill is necessary. I never put addresses on of my apps. I just put "various jobs throughout South Florida" on all of them. They look for the experience. They could care less about job names and addresses. They want the total number of years and the specific experience.

·
ampman
783 Posts
Add some specific addresses also... if you were a PM make sure you include all the dates. Add way more than you think is necessary. Fill both pages full, go back 10 years of provable experience. List high profile jobs that they may know the name of just by reading it if you have done any... List all the builders you worked for on there projects... go completely overkill...

I did mine myself for Roofing and it went threw the first time without any deficiencies....
had to add addreses to mine also

·
David
49 Posts
They look for key words. Be as detailed as possible. When filling out their application, use "their words" as much as possible:

"A "plumbing contractor" means a contractor whose contracting business consists of the execution of contracts requiring the experience, financial means, knowledge, and skill to install, maintain, repair, alter, extend, or, when not prohibited by law, design plumbing. A plumbing contractor may install, maintain, repair, alter, extend, or design the following without obtaining any additional local regulatory license, certificate, or registration:
• sanitary drainage or storm drainage facilities;
• venting systems; public or private water supply systems;
• septic tanks; drainage and supply wells;
• swimming pool piping;
• irrigation systems; or
• solar heating water systems and all appurtenances, apparatus, or equipment used in connection with these, including boilers and pressure process piping and including the installation of water, natural gas (excluding liquid petroleum gases), and storm and sanitary sewer lines; and
water and sewer plants and substations;
• the design and installation, maintenance, repair, alteration, or extension of air-piping, vacuum line piping, oxygen line piping, nitrous oxide piping, and all related medical gas systems;
• fire line standpipes and fire sprinklers to the extent authorized by law; ink and chemical lines;
• fuel oil and gasoline piping and tank and pump installation, except bulk storage plants; and
• pneumatic control piping systems."

I did not use the words, "maintain, repair, extend" so my roofing application was returned the first time. The people at the CILB are surprisingly helpful when you call.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have to use the appropriate keywords. The person reviewing your application has no plumbing experience. They don't know what "DWV" means or any of the other terms you used that are not what they use. Do exactly as the letter states.

As far as listing actual projects - this has changed in the last 6 months. It used to be you could say "various projects throughout the state". Now they want to see some actual projects. They have also become very picky that the dates of employment and supervision match EXACTLY on all of the experience pages. So, if you have 12 years of experience but the person verifying your experience will only confirm 5, then you can only include those 5 years on the entire application.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts