Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hurricane Francis , I was one of the many thousands here in Melbourne. Florida that have to have their roofs replaced.

My insurance company has authorized full roof replacement. My problem is that I can not get through to any roofing contractors ; they are obviously inundated with work.

My temp blue tarps have blown off twice @ $480 for each placement.

One roofer who I met on a job site said that work is backed up to next March!

I am open to any suggestions , referrals to certified roofers in my area that can expedite my job , anything you can think of will be appreciated.

JADA
[email protected]

U

·
0 Posts
Fl Roofing

JADA said:
After hurricane Francis , I was one of the many thousands here in Melbourne. Florida that have to have their roofs replaced.

My insurance company has authorized full roof replacement. My problem is that I can not get through to any roofing contractors ; they are obviously inundated with work.

I am open to any suggestions , referrals to certified roofers in my area that can expedite my job , anything you can think of will be appreciated.

JADA
[email protected]
Hello I saw your post about Florida roofing. I am moving there in a few weeks. I have been in the biz for several years. Our company focuses on storm damage throughout the entire country. I am not sure where we are going to be located. I would recommend the following for you:

-Dont pay the contractor until they put shingles in your drive.
-Dont give them the final payment until you are satisfied

There are a lot of shaddy people in this storm damage biz jsut be careful. If you see them working in your neighborhood then they are probably good to use. If someone offers you a deal that seems too good to be true I would be careful.

I have some questions for you, Are there a lot of houses there that need tarping? or have they all been tarped already? Do you have additional damage besides for roof damage?

Thanks and if you have any other questions let me know.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try Roofmasters of Central Florida. I recommend them regularly they may be able to help .

JADA said:

JADA
[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roofwork for Melbourne, Florida

Thank for the info. Yes , there are many more roofs that need tarping. Roofing contractors, if you can reach them, are only doing temp coverings at this time. They tell me it will be 6 months before my roof is replaced.

After waiting 4 days , I finally had a roofer come to my house today to place a temp "titanium dry" covering on the roof.

He took one look , said it was a 7/12 slope and that he was too old to climb these anymore.Someone younger may come back Monday.
This is only for a temp covering to replace my blue tarps that were blown off by the second hurricane.
Do you know anything about this "titanium dry" material that the company mentioned . Will it last the 6 months or so before they get around to my new roof , or will it blow off like the blue tarps did ?

I had water damage inside my home. Dry wall , ceilings , carpets,and the kitchen & bathroom cabinets will have to be resurfaced or replaced.

I had no success trying to find Roofmasters in my telephone directory. If they are in Central Florida , they may be in the Orlando area which is over an hour from Melbourne which is on the East coast of central Florida.

Any suggestions or referrals to local contractors in my area ito replace the roof is appreciated.

If your looking for roofing work , this area ,Melbourne , Fl is the place to be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jada,
Theres that kind of damage everywhere here, we've had a 40 mile wide damage slot across Central Fl. since Charlie came thru, Then Francis, then Jeanne (spellcheck) ...Everyone needs something from minor to major repairs.
Yes Roofmasters is located in CF, but state licenced so most go an hour or more, most of the time it takes 1.5 hours just to get to the east side of Orlando from the west...lol
Give Tom Younger from St. George Contracting, Inc . a call ,he is a GC we do work for and vice versa. All the damage you have you may want a GC handle everything from Roof to sheetrock, cabinetry to floors and everything in between. His number is 407-947-8142 tell him Richard Glidden refered you him .

JADA said:
Thank for the info. Yes , there are many more roofs that need tarping. Roofing contractors, if you can reach them, are only doing temp coverings at this time. They tell me it will be 6 months before my roof is replaced.

After waiting 4 days , I finally had a roofer come to my house today to place a temp "titanium dry" covering on the roof.

He took one look , said it was a 7/12 slope and that he was too old to climb these anymore.Someone younger may come back Monday.
This is only for a temp covering to replace my blue tarps that were blown off by the second hurricane.
Do you know anything about this "titanium dry" material that the company mentioned . Will it last the 6 months or so before they get around to my new roof , or will it blow off like the blue tarps did ?

I had water damage inside my home. Dry wall , ceilings , carpets,and the kitchen & bathroom cabinets will have to be resurfaced or replaced.

I had no success trying to find Roofmasters in my telephone directory. If they are in Central Florida , they may be in the Orlando area which is over an hour from Melbourne which is on the East coast of central Florida.

Any suggestions or referrals to local contractors in my area ito replace the roof is appreciated.

If your looking for roofing work , this area ,Melbourne , Fl is the place to be.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
JADA, In FL you can be an owner/contractor and literally build an entire house yourself.
Gov. Bush signed an emergency order to allow some other contractors to do roofing, you may want to check with some GC's or Residential contractors to see if they are getting on the bandwagon.
I know about the wait, I'm in the same boat and, as much as I hate roofing, I'm considering the DIY route. At least it's getting cooler!
The last entire roof that I did was almost 30 yrs. ago and it helped a lot that I had a friend in the business. What I did was have a Sunday afternoon football party, food and beer included. I invited 12 friends and lived with 4 more for a total of 16 guys plus some others heard about it and showed up. The party started at 7 AM and by 4 PM we had a new roof, showered and were grilling steaks, popping cold ones and watching football.
This may not work today unless you invite an inspector to the festivities too. The last repair that I did was in Sewall's Point aka 'ground zero' for Frances. There we had to have inspections for the sheathing, dry-in, in progress and shingle. The repair was 30 X 4 and would have taken less than a day, with all of the inspections it took 3 wks. Ck with your local building Dept for regs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gov. Bush signed an emergency order to allow some other contractors to do roofing, you may want to check with some GC's or Residential contractors to see if they are getting on the bandwagon.

The Gov. signed an order to allow licenced contractors in from other states,not to let currently unlicenced contractors do the work out of need.
Also, General Contractors and Remodeling contractors are not jumping on any bandwagon, they are State Licenced in all areas allowing them to manage all trades, and'/or keep all the work and handle it all internally.
The negetive to Bush's order also, not requireing these contractors to take our state exams(code issues I worry about) or pay the fees involved with a state licence. Where do you think the funds will go after these contractors blow out of our state? They take it with them. Keep the work in our state, keep the funds in our state for a stabe economy.

Teetorbilt said:
JADA, In FL you can be an owner/contractor and literally build an entire house yourself.
I know about the wait, I'm in the same boat and, as much as I hate roofing, I'm considering the DIY route. At least it's getting cooler!
The last entire roof that I did was almost 30 yrs. ago and it helped a lot that I had a friend in the business. What I did was have a Sunday afternoon football party, food and beer included. I invited 12 friends and lived with 4 more for a total of 16 guys plus some others heard about it and showed up. The party started at 7 AM and by 4 PM we had a new roof, showered and were grilling steaks, popping cold ones and watching football.
This may not work today unless you invite an inspector to the festivities too. The last repair that I did was in Sewall's Point aka 'ground zero' for Frances. There we had to have inspections for the sheathing, dry-in, in progress and shingle. The repair was 30 X 4 and would have taken less than a day, with all of the inspections it took 3 wks. Ck with your local building Dept for regs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I that I could tackle the job myself , but I have a disability that excludes me from attempting this sort of work. It appears that many of the Florida roofers do not like roofs such as mine which they call "steep".
For example , the guy who came yesterday , said it was a 7/12 , too steep for him . He will try to send someone else Monday.
The insurance company estimator was a young lady from Texas who climbed, walked and measured the whole roof without any problem. She said that where she comes from they would laugh if a roofer considered it a
"steep" roof. I had the same comment from a roofer who placed my original blue tarp (which blew away during the subsequent hurricane). He was from New England and said roofs are much steeper there. Unfortunately , he is no longer available in this area.
I guess that it all comes down to the skills that you aquire in a particular region , or the locals might just want to do the easier flatter roofs since there is such an abundance of work that they can pick and choose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roofmaster contact ino request

Richard_GL said:
Try Roofmasters of Central Florida. I recommend them regularly they may be able to help .
Would you have a contact telephone number or address for Roofmasters in Central Florida?

The closest one I could find on an internet search is in Tequista ,Fl, too far away;about 2 1/2 hours.

Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Richard, You are correct on the contractor issue. I have been informationally challenged for since Sept. 4th and have relied on the 'grapevine' for info. A GC passed that tidbit to me and I parroted it, I'm usually more savvy but just got cable (and net access) this morning and have been unable to verify anything prior. I need to check the TCBA site and find out all that is going on.
FYI, GC's, RC's and Remodlers are jumping on the bandwagon if for no other reason than to help out the community in a time of need.
I understand that out-of-staters have to take a short exam to qualify for the temp. lic., it covers local code.
As far as where the money winds up, in house is good but when your home is in jeopardy who cares? It's a good thing that tourists don't think about these issues or WE would really be in deep doo doo.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Just to clarify things, I spoke to my bro-in-law today (State Lic'd GC) and roofing falls under a 'specialty' license. GC's, RC's and Remodelers are not normally allowed to do roofing. The Gov's emergency order does allow them to do so if they choose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Just to clarify things, I spoke to my bro-in-law today (State Lic'd GC) and roofing falls under a 'specialty' license. GC's, RC's and Remodelers are not normally allowed to do roofing. The Gov's emergency order does allow them to do so if they choose.
Teetor,
I hate to do this but ....This is the state..Not my opinion...

* In general the term "contractor" means the person who is qualified for, and shall only be responsible for, the project contracted for and means, except as exempted in this part, the person who, for compensation, undertakes to, submits a bid to, or does himself or herself or by others construct, repair, alter, remodel, add to, demolish, subtract from, or improve any building or structure, including related improvements to real estate, for others or for resale to others; and whose job scope is substantially similar to the job scope described in one of the subsequent paragraphs of this subsection. For the purposes of regulation under this part, "demolish" applies only to demolition of steel tanks over 50 feet in height; towers over 50 feet in height; other structures over 50 feet in height, other than buildings or residences over three stories tall; and buildings or residences over three stories tall.

* A "certified contractor" means any contractor who possesses a certificate of competency issued by the department and who shall be allowed to contract in any jurisdiction in the state without being required to fulfill the competency requirements of that jurisdiction. Certified contractors are designated by an occupation code which begins with the letter "C".

* A "registered contractor" means any contractor who has registered with the department pursuant to fulfilling the competency requirements in the jurisdiction for which the registration is issued. Registered contractors may contract only in such jurisdictions. Registered contractors are designated by an occupation code which begins with the letter "R".

Definitions including the occupation codes and class codes, where applicable

* CG and RG
- A "general contractor" means a contractor whose services are unlimited as to the type of work which he or she may do

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Richard, My B-I-Law is Gary Engle, the big guy in Engle Construction, a very familiar name in SE FL since the 1940's.
I assume roofing falls under the "except as exempted" part in your first paragraph.
I have copied your response and will forward it to him in the AM.
The edit is to state that I refuse to get into a pi**ing match with anyone. Correct information is the goal of this site and we obviously have a question that needs some resolution. I will work toward that end.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Richard, My B-I-Law is Gary Engle, the big guy in Engle Construction, a very familiar name in SE FL since the 1940's.
I assume roofing falls under the "except as exempted" part in your first paragraph.
I have copied your response and will forward it to him in the AM.
The edit is to state that I refuse to get into a pi**ing match with anyone. Correct information is the goal of this site and we obviously have a question that needs some resolution. I will work toward that end.
Sorry you feel its a pi**ing match, but its misinformation. Read one more time...
* CG and RG
- A "general contractor" means a contractor whose services are unlimited as to the type of work which he or she may do

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Richard, may I direct you to http://www.ies.ncsu.edu/dsire/library/docs/incentives/FL02Rb.htm
FL Stat. 489.113
(3) A contractor shall subcontract all electrical, mechanical, plumbing, roofing, sheet metal, swimming pool, and air-conditioning work, unless such contractor holds a state certificate or registration in the respective trade category, however: goes on to discuss other subjects until we get to (b)
(b) A general, building, or residential contractor shall not be required to subcontract the installation, or repair made under warranty, of wood shingles, wood shakes, or asphalt or fiberglass shingle roofing materials on a new building of his or her own construction. Note that this applies only to new construction. (g) is a bit more informative.
(g) No general, building, or residential contractor certified after 1973 shall act as, hold himself or herself out to be, or advertise himself or herself to be a roofing contractor unless he or she is certified or registered as a roofing contractor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Richard, may I direct you to http://www.ies.ncsu.edu/dsire/library/docs/incentives/FL02Rb.htm
FL Stat. 489.113
(3) A contractor shall subcontract all electrical, mechanical, plumbing, roofing, sheet metal, swimming pool, and air-conditioning work, unless such contractor holds a state certificate or registration in the respective trade category, however: goes on to discuss other subjects until we get to (b)
(b) A general, building, or residential contractor shall not be required to subcontract the installation, or repair made under warranty, of wood shingles, wood shakes, or asphalt or fiberglass shingle roofing materials on a new building of his or her own construction. Note that this applies only to new construction. (g) is a bit more informative.
(g) No general, building, or residential contractor certified after 1973 shall act as, hold himself or herself out to be, or advertise himself or herself to be a roofing contractor unless he or she is certified or registered as a roofing contractor.
Teetor: Attention Redirect http://www.state.fl.us/dbpr/pro/cilb/cilb_code.shtml
Registered and certified are not the same as CG code.
* CG and RG
- A "general contractor" means a contractor whose services are unlimited as to the type of work which he or she may do.

* CB and RB
- A "building contractor" means a contractor whose services are limited to the construction of commercial buildings and single-dwelling or multiple-dwelling residential buildings. These buildings cannot exceed three stories in height. A building contractor may also construct the "accessory use structures" in connection with these buildings. An accessory use structure would be a garage, guest house, garden shed, or other outbuilding. A building contractor is also a contractor whose services are limited to remodeling, repair, or improvement of any size building - if the services do not affect the structural elements of the building.

* CR and RR
- A "residential contractor" means a contractor whose services are limited to construction, remodeling, repair, or improvement of one-family, two-family, or three-family residences which are not more than two stories and the "accessory use structures" in connection with these buildings. An accessory use structure would be a garage, guest house, garden shed, or other outbuilding.

* CS and RS
- A "sheet metal contractor" means a contractor whose services are unlimited in the sheet metal trade and who has the experience and skill necessary for the manufacture, fabrication, assembling, handling, erection, installation, dismantling, conditioning, adjustment, insulation, alteration, repair, servicing, or design of ferrous or nonferrous metal work of U.S. No. 10 gauge or its equivalent or lighter gauge. A sheet metal contractor may also work with other materials, including, but not limited to, fiberglass.

* CC and RC
- A "roofing contractor" means a contractor whose services are unlimited in the roofing trade. Roofing contractors have the experience, knowledge, and skill to install, maintain, repair, alter, extend, or design and use materials and items used in the installation, maintenance, extension, and alteration of all kinds of roofing, waterproofing, and coating, except when coating is not represented to protect, repair, waterproof, stop leaks, or extend the life of the roof.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Richard, The page that you reference is predicated by the phrase "In general". The page that I referenced are the actual State of Florida Statutes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I am A licensed residential homebuilder in Alabama and was thinking of taking a couple of guys and heading to Fl to work for a month or three. Am I allowed under some temporary mandate to get a work permit? Does it vary county to county? Should I just go and jump through the hoops when I get there? Can you even find materials right now?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Contact http://www.treasurecoastba.com/ for info.
I don't know if out of state RC's are in the program. These are great people and I have been dealing with them for 20 yrs., if they seem short at the moment it is because of case load. Give them a little slack.
For information ONLY tell them that Steve and Lisa Teetor sent you, it should get you the info quickly. They WILL call us for confirmation of your call and we will be obligated to tell them that we know nothing about you.
These are all great people so please don't try any powerplays as they are working at 100%.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts