Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I currently qualify a company in Florida and I would like to leave the company and start to do sub work for another company. Do I have to start a corporation and qualify my own company or can I hold my license under my name alone. This is a state certified general contracting license I currently hold and I am looking to get off as cheap as possible.

Thanks in advance!

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Hello all, I currently qualify a company in Florida and I would like to leave the company and start to do sub work for another company. Do I have to start a corporation and qualify my own company or can I hold my license under my name alone. This is a state certified general contracting license I currently hold and I am looking to get off as cheap as possible.

Thanks in advance!
You can qualify another new company and stop qualifying the old company or you could change your license to an individual status.

If you are licensed as an individual and not a corporation or LLC, you will not be able to exempt yourself from W/C.

The difference between qualifying a new company and placing your license under an individual isn't that much, probably a few hundred dollars, but then you have the cost of establishing a new corporation or an LLC, which can be done for $300 or less.

You can go the www.myfloridalicense.com and get the information and application you will need.

If you want to qualify more than 1 entity, it will require an appearance before the CILB.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,999 Posts
It is situations like this that prompted me to finally get off my backside and create a new biz connecting licensed qualifiers with construction company's who have a need for one. Stay tuned for my free service coming soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I'm a Certified General Contractor in Florida, qualifyng my own Corporation. I'd like qualify another construction company or work with any related bussiness, small, medium or large. The situation is hard, so it is important to be open and help one to another. I'm located in Miami, ready to move to any area in Florida.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a question about your services

please clarify for me, I am certified general contractor who wants to qualify a business. Would you be able to help with that and is there a fee?

It is situations like this that prompted me to finally get off my backside and create a new biz connecting licensed qualifiers with construction company's who have a need for one. Stay tuned for my free service coming soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In need of a GC to qualify our corporation.

I am in need of a GC to qualify my company. Please if anyone out there in the Tampa Bay Area that are wuilling to help me they will be paid for there service. My father retired and he held the license . KINDOF stuck.. Please contact Gina @ (813)741-9107

·
Registered
246 Posts

Thanks in advance!
To be eligible for the exemption from a WC policy you will need to be able to show a company with an FEIN in which you own at least 10%. This is $51 and covers you for two years, vs getting a policy which can cost thousands.

FYI, you will always need to hold a General Liability policy. You are never exempt from that.

So yes a single member LLC would be the way to go. Once it is active with the secretary of state, you would then submit an application for the Change of Status to qualify this business.

Once it is associated with this new company, you can apply for the exemption and be 100% legal to work as a sub for any company.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts