Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone has experience or knowledge with Florida's professional licensure reciprocity for military veterans. I could not find any posts on this site (or anywhere else, for that matter).

From DPBR's Veterans' Services Page:

The Department now offers professional licensure to any individual that is currently serving, or has formerly served and received an honorable discharge, as an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, or a spouse or surviving spouse of such member; and currently holds a valid license for the corresponding profession in another state, the District of Columbia, any United States territory or possession, or a foreign jurisdiction. Applicants meeting these requirements will not be required to pass a Florida examination.
Here is the Application for Professional Licensure.

Florida Certified Construction licenses (Residential/Builder/General) are specifically included on the application. It says, "You may be issued a Florida license only if the scope of work covered under your existing professional license is covered under the scope of work for the license you are seeking to acquire." It waives all state licensing fees for the initial license, and it also waives initial testing requirements. All other requirements (insurance, etc.) are applicable, as are all future requirements.

This seems a new process established by executive order and pushed out in July 2020. I had a copy of the governor's executive order on my travel laptop somewhere; it's geared toward veteran support. I think Desantis signed it in late 2019(?).

That said, I have not seen any testimonials on how it has worked in practice. I'm specifically interested in seeing if anyone knows how the Maryland MHIC license "transfers" into Florida - it sounds a lot like the Florida Certified Residential or Builder category. But I am curious about any experience you might have, plus any advice for the process. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has experience or knowledge with Florida's professional licensure reciprocity for military veterans. I could not find any posts on this site (or anywhere else, for that matter).

From DPBR's Veterans' Services Page:

Here is the Application for Professional Licensure.

Florida Certified Construction licenses (Residential/Builder/General) are specifically included on the application. It says, "You may be issued a Florida license only if the scope of work covered under your existing professional license is covered under the scope of work for the license you are seeking to acquire." It waives all state licensing fees for the initial license, and it also waives initial testing requirements. All other requirements (insurance, etc.) are applicable, as are all future requirements.

This seems a new process established by executive order and pushed out in July 2020. I had a copy of the governor's executive order on my travel laptop somewhere; it's geared toward veteran support. I think Desantis signed it in late 2019(?).

That said, I have not seen any testimonials on how it has worked in practice. I'm specifically interested in seeing if anyone knows how the Maryland MHIC license "transfers" into Florida - it sounds a lot like the Florida Certified Residential or Builder category. But I am curious about any experience you might have, plus any advice for the process. Thanks.
Welcome,
I am in a different but similar situation as yourself. I am a PAHIC since 2009 (when it first became a requirement) and am searching for information on how/if it applied under the 10 year license holder provision of that bill. I’m waiting a callback from someone who can hopefully answer my questions. I’ve gotten answers elsewhere ranging from “yes.” to suggesting that my experience may not satisfy the state, even with taking the tests, because of not being specifically licensed for certain work in PA the way Florida requires. I have 17 years as a contractor working legitimately, but it may not end up mattering. I will post when I get definitive answers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts