Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
I'm not positive , but I was under the impression it had to be a construction related degree. Something like a bs in construction management. I'll read it over this evening, maybe it's less specific than that.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
Here's from the statute 489.111:

1. Has received a baccalaureate degree from an accredited 4-year college in the appropriate field of engineering, architecture, or building construction and has 1 year of proven experience in the category in which the person seeks to qualify. For the purpose of this part, a minimum of 2,000 person-hours shall be used in determining full-time equivalency.

And from the Florida Administrative code:

(3) In the case of applicants for certification in the residential contractor category, the phrases “active experience” and “proven experience” as used in Section 489.111(2)(c)1., 2., or 3., F.S., shall be defined to mean construction experience in four or more of the following areas:
(a) Foundation/Slabs.
(b) Masonry walls.
(c) Trusses.
(d) Structural wood framing (excluding platform framing).
(e) Column erection.
(f) Formwork for structural reinforced concrete.
(4) In the case of applicants for certification under the standard set forth in Section 489.111(2)(c)1., F.S., the baccalaureate degrees in building construction, architecture, or engineering which are considered to be appropriate to the particular classification for which certification is sought shall be as follows:
(a) General, Building, and Residential Classifications: Civil Engineering; Building Construction; or Architecture.

So bottom line.... No, a BS in business administration won't cut it. Time to rethink your strategy, or see what you would have to do to change your degree.:thumbsup:

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
That's good! Trust me when I say, there is no substitute for experience!!! It will be time well spent, and you'll be all the wiser for it. Good luck , and stick around here, there's lots if great advice, both business and trades!! I wish I had found this place before I started my business, truly valuable stuff.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
I was not aware of that. Thanks Lisa!! That was not how it read to me. I figured you would be along sooner or later to fully clarify.

Do you work for the CILB? Just curious, I know you always have the answers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts