Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post to all those contractors about Florida Approved Shingles for sale on Ebay. I was skeptical, but I received the shingles and had no problems. I wanted others to know to save money and headache.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Red, you certainly get around the forums. Sniffy sniffy like smap ;) but since there's no link and I know shingles are in huge shortage in FL I am letting it stay.

As I said in the other forums you posted. I've often wondered why more people don't buy shingle up north and truck them down to FL. If I were closer to that region VA for example, I'd definetly be doing that.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The big national roofing co.s have been here for a while. One rented an old fitness center next to my shop, must have 30-40 guys living in there. They offload (by hand) 1-3 trailer loads of shingles every night, takes them about 15 mins. per 40' trailer. I don't know where they are getting them from but the co. is out of TX.
Somebody is making money faster than the mint.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Dont forget about Florida's price gouging laws. You will have to pay cartage an those shingles you have trucked down there.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Aaron, I don't know where gouging starts and reasonable profits begin, the state doesn't seem to have it figured out either. I can tell you that many things have doubled, screen enclosures being the worst.
I believe that you pay cartage anyway, I haven't heard of any manufacturers in FL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We get all of our suppls from our local suppliers, so fat we have over 500 houses tore off and replaced, we had a problem the first couple of weeks after the storms but now we can get just about any type of shingle that we need. In fact most of our roofing supplies are usually delivered within 1 week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts