Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed new kitchen cabinetry and am now trying to decide on flooring and am considering laminate. Should it be considered for flooring for a kitchen or is it too prone to water damage in that area? What kind of underlayment should be used? Also what are good brands to look for? :rolleyes:

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Laminate is just fine for a kitchen. It can be really comfy to work on for long periods of time.
Yes long standing moisture could do some harm, so clean up the water spills when they happen.
Sheet vinyl is topically water proof, but you give up some stain resistance and durability.
Ceramic tile too has little issues with moisture, but you give up warmth and comfort.

It's a give n take.

Usually if the dishwasher goes out, it will ruin ANY floor. so don't get a flooring based on appliances breaking.
A doggie dish tipping over, or kids who do not clean up after themselves are usually the #1 causes of moisture problems with laminate in kitchens.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Almost all of the newer homes here are using laminates. Higher end are going for slate or marble. Tile appears to be falling out of favor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guess that all depends on the area of the country you are in.We have never been busier in the tile dept.
Like what has already been stated wood and water do not mix so if the kitchen is constantly bombarded with water from the kids or whatever then you may want to some tile instead.A properly installed tile floor will last forever and add elegance and will say alot come resale time as well :cool:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
floorman, you are correct on depending on what part of the country you are in.
I mostly work in high-end homes and wood/laminates are going in everywhere, kitchens, baths, you name it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I really just don't get the love story the public has with laminate flooring. Like was stated in another thread here, it never feels or sounds like real wood, and you can't possibly make me believe it'll last half as long as a real wood floor will, which still has no place in a kitchen, bath or entry/mudroom IMO. As far as a comparison to tile or natural stone,.....forget about it! ;) Just my .02¢

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
Laminate and water DO NOT mix it swells. looks like the causeway when its ruined. I say if it has water near it tile it. I know I am a tileman and a wood guy but i vote for tile anyday when it comes to kitchens and baths and laundrys. But yes I have installed wood in a kitchen and bath before wasnt happy about doing it but the Homeowner write the check so i can do is offer my suggestion.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I really just don't get the love story the public has with laminate flooring
It's really a practical decision.

it never feels or sounds like real wood
And doesn't cost as much either.

and you can't possibly make me believe it'll last half as long as a real wood floor will
No, nobody should be trying to convince you of that. Because it will not last 100 years.

a comparison to tile or natural stone,.....forget about it!
I couldn't live on Tile or Stone for the next 10 years in a kitchen. I would be hospitalized in no time.

i vote for tile anyday when it comes to kitchens
See last response...

I agree that tile in Entry's is a great decision. Even vinyl would be better than lam or wood.
A kitchen is a toss up IMO depending on how much control over water issues such as kids and dogs.
I replace vinyl and tile in kitchens because of appliances on a regular basis. So I would not pick a floor based on that.

Laminate is a short term practical solution that works incredibly well for alot of people.
Wood is a long term beautiful investment that works well to those that can afford it.

All flooring has it's high's and lows. And some work better for some than others.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Why is everyone feeding this TROLL?
Look at her posts.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
No its the member feelhigh who is bringing back all of these old threads.

I wouldn't care, if he actually added something to the topic, but he doesnt.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
No its the member feelhigh who is bringing back all of these old threads.

I wouldn't care, if he actually added something to the topic, but he doesnt.

agreed

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just installed new kitchen cabinetry and am now trying to decide on flooring and am considering laminate. Should it be considered for flooring for a kitchen or is it too prone to water damage in that area? What kind of underlayment should be used? Also what are good brands to look for? :rolleyes:
i really feel laminate flooring would be a bad choice i feel that something like karndean or amtico would be more fitting as its i vinal tile thats waterproof and long lasting unlike laminate that suffers from water damage and chips scratches and is slippery when wet.:thumbup:

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
WTF :blink:

Dave, you realize you replied to a post from 2004, right :rolleyes:

AND this is in the "post pictures" forum...:wallbash:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts