Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when laying hardwood flooring my understanding is that flooring should be laid at 90 degrees to floor joist.is this required with floating floors also with 3/4"plywood t-g subfloors being much stiffer than boarded subfloors is possible to run nail down floors parallel to joist.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
"Floating floors" offer no structural value what-so-ever, so IMHO you can orient it any way you please, 90 deg....in line....diagonal...even standing on edge :) ...well ok maybe not that last one, but I would say any way that you like the look of it, go for it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i was thinking ,current job may have radiant heat under wood subfloor with floating no worries about nailing thru tubeing runs.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
jp has it right. Don't depend on any 'floating flooring' for structural use, it was never designed for this.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
BTW Berg,

You do nail "floating" floors, but only on the edges. I.E. - only the first piece and the last peice. <--official comment

Now then, I have done a floor without edge nailing it(due to an abundance of concrete below it...and a lack of tools to do anything about it), and it turned out ok. Still hasn't moved after a couple years. <---unofficial comment :cheesygri

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure i understand edge nailing floating floor. Isn,t this only done with glue down floors.When i say floating i am refering to clic and edge glued laminate and engineered floors.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Floating means non-secured.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Floating, in all instructions I've read, means minimally secured (nailed on the edges). But like I said I've done it both ways with no problems.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
jp, we must be talking about different systems. The 'floating' flooring that I install requires an open perimeter to allow the product to expand and contract with variations in temp. and humidity. Securing the perimeter would cause the product to buckle or open seams.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Correct. Floating floor means floating. I have read alot of stuff. I have yet to see any recommendations that involve nailing the primeter of a floating install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts