Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently stained a basement floor and outside porch for a neighbor. Here is where the problem lies. I used a water based concrete sealer on the porch and basement. It was guaranteed to breathe and not turn WHITE. It turned white on the porch and didn't turn white on the basement. I stripped the sealer on the porch and when I was there stripping freaking sealer for 2 days, my neighbor decides to move furniture in the basement and scratches the sealer which in turn removes some of the stain. I initially applied 2 coats of water based sealer and 2 coats of a sacrificial wax. My question is can I apply a tougher acrylic based sealer over my waxed and sealed floor in her basement? Stripping the basement floor is not an option.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
I recently stained a basement floor and outside porch for a neighbor. Here is where the problem lies. I used a water based concrete sealer on the porch and basement. It was guaranteed to breathe and not turn WHITE. It turned white on the porch and didn't turn white on the basement. I stripped the sealer on the porch and when I was there stripping freaking sealer for 2 days, my neighbor decides to move furniture in the basement and scratches the sealer which in turn removes some of the stain. I initially applied 2 coats of water based sealer and 2 coats of a sacrificial wax. My question is can I apply a tougher acrylic based sealer over my waxed and sealed floor in her basement? Stripping the basement floor is not an option.
What the hell is a concrete artist?

·
Tile and Stone Cleaning
22 Posts
You applied a topical 'stain' and it is coming off.

If you are looking for protection I do not think it will happen.
Everything is dependent on the adherence to the concrete in the first place.

The easy answer is that if you acid stained it then you should use a good solvent
sealer. Like CSS from Elitecrete. For a basement that is not subject to moisture
you can go with a good concrete urethane sealer. Of course you need to wax these as well.

I don't think I was much help, but I am not exactly sure what you used and whether or not it was done correctly.

Usually any 'whitening' is moisture driven.

What did you use as far as products go?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,693 Posts
You applied wax to the surface. You will have to strip the wax off. Generally a tougher coating is a harder coating. If you put a harder coating over a softer coating you are just asking for problems. You don't want to hear it, but stripping sounds like the way to go. Use a blaster to strip the coating, should be a breeze. And yes, you are going to lose money on this job. Just stick it into the book hard knocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Advice, become good and knowledgable about your trade before you go selling you services to customers. G
Haha, thats pretty good advice, you should be fluent in a subject if you are gonna sell it to someone. It comes to something when u need to resort to the internet to solve a problem in your trade hehe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts