·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tell me what you think

Floor Laminate flooring Wood flooring Flooring Hardwood
Laminate flooring Floor Flooring Wood flooring Hardwood
Flooring Floor Laminate flooring Wood flooring Hardwood

Politely asked him to pick up his tools, after two attempts to correct. I don't think he realized he had to start over. He tried to correct it with sanding and poly.
He actually wanted me to pay him.

Tim

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Things got worse after the finish. he sanded the dark areas to try and lighten and made it look like a distressed floor, but only in the dark areas.
I won't even get in to what he did to my new hardwood stairs.
Oh well I guess its a good experience to see what some customers go through when trying to find contractors to work on their home. This guy really talked like he knew what he was doing but couldn't follow through.

Tim

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
things got worse after the finish. He sanded the dark areas to try and lighten and made it look like a distressed floor, but only in the dark areas.
I won't even get in to what he did to my new hardwood stairs.
Oh well i guess its a good experience to see what some CHEAP customers go through when trying to find contractors to work on their home. This guy really talked like he knew what he was doing but couldn't follow through.

Tim

fify

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I'm not asked to stain floors very often and I explain to a lot of clients that think they need a stain to get the wood to have depth of color and character that the right sealer can usually get them where they need to be.

I really don't enjoy staining floors. Always a nail biter for me.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm not asked to stain floors very often and I explain to a lot of clients that think they need a stain to get the wood to have depth of color and character that the right sealer can usually get them where they need to be.

I really don't enjoy staining floors. Always a nail biter for me.
HUH?

not sure i get this at all.

if someone wants a dark floor the need to stain.
this was a prefinished with possibility of alum/oxide finish..

it wasn't removed well enough.

the guy made a bad hire and maybe he don't want to admit it, but he shopped price..he went low bidder guaranteed.

He now feels buyer remorse and his retribution was screwing the guy who did the job of his pay..whom was a fool for not taking deposit.

no offense intended but i'm sure no argument can be made legitimately to prove me wrong

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Well sure, a dark floor. But many customers use the terms stain varnish finish poly shellac as if they were all exactly the same thing. They often have little idea of what particular product will produce the look they are after.

If your client wants to make an oak floor look golden and amber there's no reason to over complicate the process. Oil urethane or an oil sealer with some Traffic on top will get you there.

I know its hard to read the word symbols and turn them into thought pictures but with some adderal and a little effort this might make sense to you, eventually. ;)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Well sure, a dark floor. But many customers use the terms stain varnish finish poly shellac as if they were all exactly the same thing. They often have little idea of what particular product will produce the look they are after.

If your client wants to make an oak floor look golden and amber there's no reason to over complicate the process. Oil urethane or an oil sealer with some Traffic on top will get you there.

I know its hard to read the word symbols and turn them into thought pictures but with some adderal and a little effort this might make sense to you, eventually. ;)

hmmm..

I live in the North east..not the North west..

I suppose my clientele may be a little more sophisticated and know what they want (gratuitous ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do NOT buy anything on price. This guy was actually the highest price.
I do not SCREW people.
He explained to me the entire process of sanding through the different grits of paper and the importance of removing scratches before staining a dark color. He explained the product he was using, (Aboritec).
He knew the process but tried to cut a corner. He used 80 grit on his drum and edge sander and went to his screen on his buffer. On my stairs he used 80 on hid edge sander and tried to stain directly over that. I gave him three opportunities to do it correctly but he didn't.
I gave him $500 for his material and his effort, helped load his equipment,
and sent him on his way.
I am a pretty patient person because you know what, in almost 30 years as a mason I have made a few mistakes along the way, but always corrected them and ate the cost.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
To jamestrd, this finisher was licensed, insured and a legit business. I also checked our contractors board for any complaints, none. not that thats saying much for RI licensing, but thats another discussion.
So tell me, how would have you handled this situation, from hiring to completion.
Would accept this floor in your house?
I absolutely made a bad hire.
Tim

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,786 Posts
Yep, made a bad hire & sounds like you handled it as well as possible. I've screwed up on a few floors in my day in the learning process & had to eat the labor & materials to make it right. Live & learn, the best lessons in life, are usually the painful lessons. Hopefully he'll evaluate what he done wrong & learn to do better in the future.

BTW, I hate stained floors. Feels like there's always something that shows that wouldn't have shown with natural finish.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks pinwheel. I agree, I'm not a big fan of stained floors but we have cherry kitchen, doors and trim. Wife wants it to blend in. There was no way i was tearing up a good oak floor and installing cherry.
He's actually a great guy. I think he just needs more experience. After loading his equipment we had a friendly conversation and he was on his way.

Tim

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Thanks pinwheel. I agree, I'm not a big fan of stained floors but we have cherry kitchen, doors and trim. Wife wants it to blend in. There was no way i was tearing up a good oak floor and installing cherry.
He's actually a great guy. I think he just needs more experience. After loading his equipment we had a friendly conversation and he was on his way.

Tim
So are you going to have it done right?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes I am. have another finisher lined up. He was quite impressed with the existing results. He said he can fix most of it, but a couple of things, that I didn't see, might still show a little. I'm ok with that.
I'll follow up with how it turns out.

Tim

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Yes I am. have another finisher lined up. He was quite impressed with the existing results. He said he can fix most of it, but a couple of things, that I didn't see, might still show a little. I'm ok with that.
I'll follow up with how it turns out.

Tim
Hes starting over right?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts