Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You are probably right.
Regardless, the flooring company put new lino down, but I had to pay the install.
Lesson learned.
The fridge was empty

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You are probably right.
Regardless, the flooring manufacturer replaced the lino, I paid for the install.
The fridge was empty.
Lesson learned.
:censored: Cant delete.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
We find ways around moving furniture carefully.

For fridges Lowes has laminate sheets that shipping puts on top of pallet, they give me them free so I'll carry 4 with me, and 2 lux vinyl plank where it's gonna park at.

In bedrooms we put stuff on wheels ensuring it won't damage product, it can be done carefully just shifting a few times.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Yeah, fridges are the biggest PITA to move without screwing up the floor and everyone thinks it's so easy because they have wheels.

I use masonite to make a path to the fridge's destination.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,717 Posts
I bought a pair of piano dollies for moving refrigerators. I can pick up a fully loaded fridge & move it outta the way. On prefinished floors, we have a couple strips of old low knap carpet, turned face down. The piano dollies roll just fine across it. The dollies work well for any heavy, boxy piece of furniture.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,022 Posts
For a little old lady, absolutely. But if a client expects me (and they have) to move all their furniture out for them while they have a physically able husband and son that are perfectly capable of doing it themselves then they can get bent. One lady tried to con our labourer into shovelling her sidewalk last winter. We're here to hang your french door not do your ***** work.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
madrina said:
Do you guys consider moving all the furniture out of a bedroom and living room part of the job? I expect that to be done prior to my arrival. Am I wrong for that? or are people just that inconsiderate? What do you do when that happens?
Why don't you ask them? I always ask, if they say they're not moving anything then I include it in my proposal.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I consider if they did they get a better install , I'm a little more meticulous and pass that consideration back to them, I'm in a better mood and nicer to them , it also shows they have some intelligence, sometimes their vehicles won't even be in the way!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Oh I do discuss it with them prior to me showing up. I ask if the room will be empty, they say yes usually and I get there and nothing is moved and they are watchin tv. I've even had them tell me it was done and it wasn't. Next time I'm going to stain around the furniture. Lol.

Maybe I should ask like this "will the room be empty or should I include that in the bid"

21 - 30 of 30 Posts