Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys consider moving all the furniture out of a bedroom and living room part of the job? I expect that to be done prior to my arrival. Am I wrong for that? or are people just that inconsiderate? What do you do when that happens?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have it in my contract.If they say they will move it,It's in the contract.If I get there and have to move it it's extra.Nothing is free and should be in writing.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,717 Posts
I don't mind helping move one or 2 big pieces that were too big for the client to move themselves. I don't volunteer that service, but if it's obvious it's more than they're capable of handling & they ask, I'll deal with it & don't sweat getting paid for the extra service, provided it only takes 10-15 minutes to move.

But, for the most part, I want the job clear when I get there & I give them the # for the local mover if they're not capable themselves.

Prefinished floors, I don't mind doing a little shuffling of the big items that are a pain to move completely out. Couch, dining table, ect.

·
Contractor
4,743 Posts
I explain and write it up as I'll take care of all the big stuff but it's part of how I take care of my customer. I always ask them to remove the small things-pictures, vases, valuables, etc. I'll also take a picture of placement in order to get it close after the work is complete.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I do things for little old ladies and single moms just because of who I am. A deal is a deal, but if I see they tried and failed, I'm not going to be a butt hole about it. After all, I'm a grown ass man.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Fridges and washers are $25. Microwave Remove and install are $45. Dryers, ovens, beds, couches, dining tables are $15 small stuff is $5.
It is all in the price book I just take pic of what is there at start (so I know where to put it back) and it gets billed.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think it should be charged for, I like Craig's prices, here in Florida it's wacked and expected for us to move the basic furniture, carpet, etc. And priced so to speak in the sq ft. Install price which is also low from the retailer we work with.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's worked into the contract and bid. Personal items need to be removed from the project area prior to start date, but we will move larger items as described in the contract.
Great points- especially the personal items..need to discuss beforehand

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Depends on their needs and budget ;)
If I'm working I'm getting paid, but like Chuck said - I'm not an icehole about it either. If they couldn't get it done and we need to lend a hand for 15-20 minutes to get our job started, no big deal.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
What's in the contract? That determines who does what. I don't mind moving a couple of things free, but I ain't moving it all unless I'm getting $$. I hate moving furniture. Too much risk in damaging something. I give the client the name of a local (franchised) moving company and they'll send a couple of monkeys over for $30/hr each. I also use the PODS for onsite storage.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
When we were doing kitchen installs, we were not supposed to move anything.
So we show up for the job ,and there is the fridge, stove and dishwasher sitting in the kitchen area.
Move them or send the guy's home.
DW and stove no problem, we were very careful with the fridge, so we didn't damage the new lino.
The wheels left crush marks in the lino. Did not see it until the next day.
We waited for it to relax. It didn't.
We got the flooring company out, they got the factory rep out.
The floor had to be replaced .
Ouch.
Never again

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
DW and stove no problem, we were very careful with the fridge, so we didn't damage the new lino.
We waited for it to relax. It didn't.
We got the flooring company out, they got the factory rep out.
The floor had to be replaced .
Ouch.
Never again
That sucks.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The guy was a real dick about the whole thing as well.
If he had done it ,insurance would have covered it. But because I did it they wouldn't

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
it should always be discussed upfront..charged accordingly...sometimes they bone you and then I get them back..pre-finish no big deal..no brainer..shuffle it..in the price..

on site finish..you didn't move it or most of it? no problem..we move it..you put it back..again..pre-discussed and agreed.

cant go home because a homeowner played a game

I am not sure what thins thread is really about.if you don't move furniture ,tell them..if you do..tell them.

tell them what you will and wont move and put it on your proposal..

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All good points, I guess I forgot how every little detail has to be outlined in the contract. I do discuss all this prior to commencement of work, but it never fails, the countertops are always full of "used daily" items, silverware coffeepots, microwave etc. And the floors always have some amount of extra work whether it be furniture or toys or papers...

I guess I just expect people to have consideration for other ppls time. One lady I did counter tops for pushed every thing to the middle of the floor which gave me about 4 inches on all sides to get to the countertop. LIKE REALLY?

I even call them ahead of time to let them know I'm on my way and sometimes if im leary..Ill ask if they were able to move everything or if there was anything they needed me to bring a dolly for (in which case I don't mind helping) but then again helping, does not mean doing for while you watch.

·
Registered
810 Posts

That wasn't in the vinyl. It mashed a line in the adhesive and dried that way. You have to use plywood or masonite.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts