Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We removed glue down laminate flooring from an OSB subfloor. There are some places where the chips in the OSB were pulled up and some areas where there the glue is still on the flooring. I would appreciate any suggestions for what to do to prep this floor for 3/4"x4" Oak flooring. Thank you.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Start scraping and chiseling or look Here on post #46. That will get it flatter, but be careful. If you're not, it will take you down to a joist quick :eek:.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Hit it with an edger. Best subfloor prep tool in the world Craig.

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Registered
240 Posts
Are you talking about a wood sanding edger?
How does it handle all those 1/4" staples that they put luan down with ?
Not sure if I missed it but didn't the OP say "We removed glue down laminate flooring from an OSB subfloor"

When did luan and staples come into the mix?

I believe the OP meant that the glue holding down the laminate to the OSB ended up binding so tight to the OSB that it pulled up chunks of it, and other areas where the glue didnt come up at all.

Never used it before but wouldn't that grinding tool tear the hell out of the OSB?

If the screws/nails fastening the OSB to the floor joists are sufficiently set deep enough, there is nothing wrong with using a edger.

We've thrown old 20s or 36s on the drum and cut subfloors in the past to get 'em smooth.

Heck, I've even got an old beater drum that once or twice we put a cloth 20 on and walked a few areas with those thin staples on it. Sheared those puppies right off.

Even cut through a small linolium area once bc with didn't have the right prep tools on site.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
little staples came into the mix because edgers were suggested as being a great prep tool/ It was more of a information request.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
little staples came into the mix because edgers were suggested as being a great prep tool/ It was more of a information request.
99% of the time underlayment staples are limited to small areas like baths, utilities, & kitchens. I have a couple of heavy duty 5" scrapers that shear those right off or pull them completely. One guy runs through those areas with a scraper and hammer ahead of the sander. Easier than you think.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,700 Posts
Are you talking about a wood sanding edger?
How does it handle all those 1/4" staples that they put luan down with ?
Staples shred edger paper. Staples, you play whack a mole with em. Bout the time you think you've got em all pounded down, another couple dozen seem to pop back up.:censored:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a couple of heavy duty 5" scrapers that shear those right off or pull them completely. One guy runs through those areas with a scraper and hammer ahead of the sander. Easier than you think.
...or frustratingly folds them over and smashes them down causing us to pluck em one at at time.
AHHHHHH!:censored:

Seems like sometimes its hit or miss.
Same thing with carpet pad staples. Can be easy or very annoying depending on the day and if my back hurts in the morning.

Murphy's Law?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts