Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first house & am about to cover the vinyl kitchen floor with pergo laminate. I plan to put the laminate floor right over the vinyl.

When I attempted to take off the floor moldings, I found that when the previous owner installed the kitchen floor, he cut the vinyl *around* the moldings instead of removing the moldings and then installing the floor. So that makes the moldings difficult to take off because the vinyl is in the way.

Do you have any tricks or tips for this? Should I cut a couple inches of vinyl away from the molding so that I can get the moldings out (and will this affect the laminate installation at all?) Or is there a way to get the nails out first, and therefore slide the molding out?

I'm sure I'll figure it out one way or another, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate them. The one thing I *don't* want to do is remove the vinyl and have to deal with glue, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If it is just regular vinyl, you should be able to pry your base off from the top and then just slide/roll it out. You should be undercutting the casings and jambs and may have to cut the flooring back a little to get the pieces out, this won't hurt the installation.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Out with the old in with the new I would think in this case. If you are going to all that trouble and expense to put down your new floor I would consider putting down new shoe molding too. Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts