Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm curious about how floor joists are fitted into or on a concrete block wall. I considering building a small house/building with concrete block (aac block most likely). Is there like a rim joist attached to the wall? Or is the block cut? Everything built around here is stick built, so I don't have an example to look at.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Where are you located, man?

Floor joists are so out of style. Look at my photo. This is what you want to do. Form up the floor and pour it.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Single story or more?

Single, you could use 12" to the bottom of sill. grout solid, then 8".

More than that you will need to grout solid at least every few cells and a bond beam block at the rim for the second floor that you can stab some bolts into.

Nothing to it, women and children are doing these around here all the time.:laughing:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
An AAC unit is an solid ultra lightweight unit made using cement as one ingredient. The strength is much lower than a CMU (no matter where you live). It cannot be grouted and attachment for structural purposes are difficult because the low strength and amount of cutting to provide reasonable connections for lateral shear, compression and especially uplift from wind or seismic.

There is no comparision of an AAC unit to a CMU or normal lightweight block (ASTM C90). The construction is totally different since there are not cores and the strength is so much lower.

If it is a conventional CMU wall, you can easily insert anchor bolts into the uppper cores to develop the strength required. People frequently forget about the need for anchor bolts (AND NUTS if the the carpenters lose them) as determined by the numerous problems associated with wind-driven failures.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Single story or more?

Single, you could use 12" to the bottom of sill. grout solid, then 8".

More than that you will need to grout solid at least every few cells and a bond beam block at the rim for the second floor that you can stab some bolts into.

Nothing to it, women and children are doing these around here all the time.:laughing:
Is wet setting anchor bolts permitted in Cali?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
You will not see AAC in California for many reasons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. You guys were all over it. I'm sure aac cost more than lightweight cmu's. I don't know if these have the same r factor as regular concrete cmu's or not. Still looking into it.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
AAC is certainly not cheap, but it does have some benefits. Unfortunately, in some situations/locations or areas it is not very efficient from a cost standpoint compared to traditional CMU construction.

When you are building a heavy masonry wall as opposed to lightweight frame wall, R-values (short term steady state lab tests) are not very important because of the long term thermal properties/values/benefits, but the pink panther does not want to confuse people with facts and likes advertising in place of the real world. That is why the vast majority of the developed world does not use wood or fiberglas for housing unless they are really poor.

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
Nakins wrote:

I considering building a small house/building with concrete block (aac block most likely

What do your plans say? You do have plans, right? Stamped plans? Is it a house or a building? Residential or commercial?

I think we have an HO here looking for free advice; just enough to get himself in trouble. Trade is GC, he should know where to find basic info like this. :furious:
Besides, all his previous (few) posts have been along these same lines. I expect this to be sent packing soon.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Where is 'around here'?

Do you grout fill your blocks or leave them hollow?

Arkansas was what he said in the roofing forum when he asked what everyone thought of flat roofs. He didn't say when he asked about either stucco or dry-it.

Nakins wrote:

I considering building a small house/building with concrete block (aac block most likely

What do your plans say? You do have plans, right? Stamped plans? Is it a house or a building? Residential or commercial?

I think we have an HO here looking for free advice; just enough to get himself in trouble. Trade is GC, he should know where to find basic info like this. :furious:
Besides, all his previous (few) posts have been along these same lines. I expect this to be sent packing soon.
Agree.. As a general he should just know where to find the information, but should already know it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Well, I guess you got me. I'll admit it. I'm a home owner. Ah, there, it feels so good to get that off my chest. You know of a good rehab center for home owners? Is there like a Betty Ford Clinic for us home owners? I'm kinda poor, since I spend all my money on homes. Is there like a 11 step program? Maybe one that's just a rough in with a story pole?

Here's some free advice for ya. Get you some Boudreaux's Butt Paste. It'll fix that case of the red ass you got.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts