Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be long, bear with me!
My brother in law, is doing a hardwood 3/4" hickory floor in his house. Now he is fairly handy with tools etc.
Calls last week, do you have a nailer, NO. He buys one. Next call, should I start from the long hallway, or shorter front wall. I said long hallway to keep it straight looking. Next call, the guy from Blowes (FRANK) said it can't go over OSB, I said we do it all the time! Next call, do you install felt paper or not, Frank said it is not needed over plywood. I do.
He installs 1/2" plywood through out. Not sure if he installed any felt, or rosin paper, etc.
I get a call today from my sister, the floor looks great, we can't open the [email protected]^#(@^ front door, it hits the floor!
I da*# near pissed my pants! Sorry I could not stop laughing!!
He trusts the Blowes guy, Frank, thinks he walks on water at times! Guess he learned a lesson, didn't want my advice on this one!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That won't work either! It is a fiberglass, that can be cut off, BUT the door frame has a NON adjustable threashold! So, back to the beginning?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't go to look at it, but from what I have learned, they took the door off, then the rubber sweep off of the bottom of the door, and it does open, with a slight scrap to it. So, that tells me need to cut approx. 1/2" to 5/8" off just to make sure that all clears, forget about a mat in the area. But with a non adjustable threashold, I am lost for a good idea here?? Any help will be great!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
avenge said:
I wouldn't do anything with it at all. He didn't take your advice, tell him to call Frank at Blowes. If I had to do it I'd try raising the whole door.
I can practically hear Frank at Blowes from here. "What you need, sir, is this reciprocating saw! You can cut that door to size without even taking it down!"

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tooo reply to sum of ya , they call me AFTER the fact, when the issues start! It is my sister, so, I do what is needed for the advice end of it! I LEARNED YEARS AGO, don't do the work!! Once again, I did say to take the damb door out, raise it cut header, as needed, 1/2" or what-ever, replace door. All I got was "we just put it in this spring!". Like I really give a !*%@!

""Do it right or do it over!!"

AND they know that they were going to put 3/4" hardwood in! the "REAL" kick in the ars is that their son, and son-in law, are BOTH carpenters by trade?

·
Haven Hardwoods
46 Posts
Pull door out. Cut opening upwards 5/8" and reframe. Re-install door and make a custom door threshold. A lot of work for something that could be eliminated with 2 seconds of research!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts