Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this the plumbers problem or homeowners
in recent day's we have had well over 6" of rain in the metro Atl. Ga area
along with the rain came the calls for basements being flooded out and having the customer say it is the fault of the plumber for not doing something to prevent the problem when we were there to install new water heater or other work in basement. has anyone else heard this from there customers and if so how have you handled it. thank you

·
Registered
438 Posts
That really is not your problem, unless you caused the flood.

Last winter we did a steam replacement boiler, a few weeks later the local water dept flushed the hydrants and brought a new pumping station on line just a few blocks from where we did this replacement.
The new pressure must have screwd up the autofeeder and she over filled while these people were at work for the day.

Well needless to say the finished basement was under 3" of water.

My biggest concern about this flooding is the new mold issue, so I ended up paying for the cleanup, although I feel that the problem was caused by an outside source.

BJD

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
plumbbob said:
in recent day's we have had well over 6" of rain [then] came the calls for basements being flooded out and having the customer say it is the fault of the plumber for not doing something to prevent the problem when we were [doing] other work in basement.
Is this a serious question or are you just teasin'? :D Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye? If not, that's one of the craziest ideas I've ever heard.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Tell the homeowners you're going to have to sue them because although you just worked for them a while back, now you're broke, and they should have forseen it coming, and paid you more!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Tom R said:
you're going to have to sue them because although you just worked for them a while back, now you're broke, and they should have forseen it :cheesygri
LOL :Thumbs:

·
Registered
295 Posts
plumbbob said:
in recent day's we have had well over 6" of rain in the metro Atl. Ga area
along with the rain came the calls for basements being flooded out and having the customer say it is the fault of the plumber for not doing something to prevent the problem when we were there to install new water heater or other work in basement. has anyone else heard this from there customers and if so how have you handled it. thank you

Sounds like a real scumbag of a customer. Looking for something for nothing and trying to play the old blame game. Thanks for the chuckle!

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
Plumbbob! Tell the guy to watch the news that I have been watching. I have seen flooding that I have never seen in this area before. I think he has no flood ins and is looking for a scapegoat. What part of Hotlanta are you in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the feed back guys. All but pipeguy you must be an ass and never have had to deal with this type of problem before and you must not be a plumber. I take what I do seroisaly and when someone question my abilities I do take offence to it.
jbfan, I live outside Atl. in Snellville. Moved here so I could be somebody LOL. Main work is Buckhead, Druid Hills,and Oh so great Grant Park have to love the crawl spaces there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To Mike Finley,
We give our customers the option to install or repair if they want. WE do not feel that we have access to their check book to do what we want. It is their choice not ours, As for the company I work for and have for the past 14 years we have never pressured or forced someone to purchase something they dont want ,it is their choice it may be the wrong choice they go with but it is totally up to them. And I do take offense to someone that implies that I do buisness that way. If they dont agree with the price they have the right to say no and we part as friends. ThankYou

·
Registered
295 Posts
plumbbob said:
thanks for the feed back guys. All but pipeguy you must be an ass and never have had to deal with this type of problem before and you must not be a plumber. I take what I do seroisaly and when someone question my abilities I do take offence to it.
jbfan, I live outside Atl. in Snellville. Moved here so I could be somebody LOL. Main work is Buckhead, Druid Hills,and Oh so great Grant Park have to love the crawl spaces there
When most people see water in their homes they automatically think it is a plumbing problem.A lot of times if you ask the right questions over the phone you can realize and tell them that they need the help of someone else (roofer,etc.) and maybe make a refferal.

I agree with you that for the most part no one likes to be questioned about their abilities. But, after reading you're posts again, you have done exactly that too yourself. This is not a post that should be posted by a plumber that has been with a company for 14 years!

If one of my plumbers came back to me with this question, and did not know the how to deal with this type of service call or customer, while representing my company he/she would be in for a long talk!!! My confidence level in that tech would be lowered.

I don't want to sound to harsh...but this is plumber to plumber talk which sounds like what you were looking for. Although, some of the other posts might not be from plumber's, I have'nt read one that was out of line or was deserving of being called an a$$. Hit the books and Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
plumbbob said:
thanks for the feed back guys. All but pipeguy you must be an ass and never have had to deal with this type of problem...you must not be a plumber.
Wow! I just got back from waiting in line at Border's for my kid's Harry Potter book. I'm glad I checked the board tonight before hitting the hay.

Bob, I'm sorry you were offended by my comments. I can tell you take what you do seriously. I too would be concerned (but not offended) if my customer concluded that the work I did caused their basement to flood - particularly if it had never flooded before.

Also, you're right about me not being a plumber. As you probably already know, we utility contractors really have it easy when it comes to not having to possess much technical expertise, or otherwise know much about managing risk, in order to make a dollar.

Thanks for your feedback - I've learned something today I might have otherwise missed. Have a great weekend. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pipeguy,
sorry for being so rude. it had been a bad day and i was not so nice with the comment.we have had more than our share of rain in Atl. and somepeople who had a water problem in there basement or crawlspace was trying to find somebody to blame and since it was water they held the plumbers responsable. thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Personally, I thought the whole thing rather amusing. I believe that the record in Ft. Laud. was 16 ins. in 24 hrs during Fredrick, hard to blame that on anyone. I have no idea where this guy is blaming anybody. It was an 'act of god'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts