Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about a line of porcelain tile that showed up on one of my suppliers shelves. It's a floating tile floor. The tiles interlock together and then grouted. No thin set or backer board required. I've asked elsewhere and nobody had used this product yet. Have any of the tile tradesman here used this product and if so what is the verdict? Worth trying? Seems like the grout would crack. But what do I know.

Here's the link- http://www.avairefloors.com/

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
I've worked on a few homes that had it installed. The floor tends to give to much, the joints separate, and after awhile the floor looks wavy.
From what I've seen it's great for the DIYer......

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
I put floating tile in a friends bathroom many (5?) years ago. It was something Lowe's had started carrying, so can't speak to these different products.

It was a ceramic tile on a thin backer board that snapped together then got grouted with a flexible grout out of a pressurized bottle (think cheese wiz here). I had doubts about if it would hold up but couldn't find anyone who had used it.

The sub-floor was strait and smooth but over time (within the first six months) it developped hairline cracks where the toilet and sink were set.

I just think the combination of rigid tile into a semi-rigid install setting is a bit at cross purposes.

I wouldn't use that type of product again with out a bunch of folks telling me how great it was holding up many years later. Lowe's stopped carrying it after too long.

For what any of that's worth

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
From what I've seen it's great for the DIYer......
...and the HO that wants a "tile floor" but doesn't want to spend money to get a tile floor.
As usual, one gets what they pay for...or don't.

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
...and the HO that wants a "tile floor" but doesn't want to spend money to get a tile floor.
As usual, one gets what they pay for...or don't.
That is exactly what led my friends to get stuck with it. I told them "got no data on this, have doubts about this, no guarantees on this."

Okay, it's your floor, keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Okay, it's your floor, keep your fingers crossed.
:D
And sometimes that's what most of will say/do. I'd bet everyone here has done that and I will say I've done it more than I'd like. But then I realized not everyone thinks like I do, has the same taste as I, value the same things, etc.
I've done some of those snap together floating wood floors. I think not only would carpet look a lot better, but one wouldn't wipe out going around corners, etc. No idea how those can be fixed other than with "simulated wood tape".

But....if that's what they want/how they want it.....they're paying me, so that's what's gonna happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts