Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In layman terms........what are floating neutrons? Is this dangerous? I just had a maytag repair man here and found out that the 220 wire is split ....2 110 wires but that there is a floating neutron. Some pretty funky things have been happening here with electrical in garage. Is this serious, dangerous?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In my vast ignorance of electricty.......I've been informed by the electrician via phone.....it's not a floating neutron, but a floating neutral. His words....."ot oh.....that's not good", certainly didn't reassure me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, a floating neutral can be dangerous!
It means that the current is coming in, but do not return through the wired circuit. The dangerous part is that normally neutral parts can go live.
You better have someone fix it as soon as possible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matt. thank you for responding. The electrician was here yesterday and we found out that it was the outlet itself. Something had short wired and it burnt inside the outlet. It also crisped the dryer plug. New plug was installed as well as a new a new outlet. Electrician tested everything and all is well again. Now I've got tons of laundry to get too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts