Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a 'floating' floor (30 X 36) in the room discussed. One side is anchored by a 20 ft long bookcase and the opposite side by a very large entertainment center. Over time the perimeter has to have pretty well anchored itself so this floor has ceased to float but it remains intact despite humidity fluctuations between 50-100%.
A friend of ours has nearly the same size room, I didn't install, and he has buckling problems under the same atmospheric conditions but without the heavy perimetric stuff.
Anybody have an explanation? Flor?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I guess it could be a few things. Perhaps the floor was not acclimated prior to install and was put in during extreme conditions. Ie:humidity or dryness.

Maybe the proper expansion gap was not left around the perimeter?

While your humidity may be ambient,perhaps there is some hydraulic pressure going on underneath? Is it on a slab? Or above grade?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both are on slabs, typical FL construction.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was thinking but the owner swears that it was done right, he's a big shot IT guy and probably wouldn't know right from wrong.
I always put down 2 coats of concrete sealer before the vapor barrier and often put down 2 of those. 2 layers of Armstrong 1+2 approximates Quietstep plus you get an extra vapor barrier.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thats a damn good idea. Any info on warantee if you double up?

What are you using for a sealer ? Mind if I ask the cost and what you chrge a foot?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, for the described install I get $3.50 a sq. ft. and throw in a 10 yr. warrantee against groundwater/slab absorbtion damage. For standard install, 2 coats sealer and a single vapor barrier I get $3.10 with a 4 yr. warrantee.
HD and Lowe's here get $2.75, flunkie installs and only a 1 yr. warrantee.
I also scrape, clean and vaccum the floor prior to install. Vacuum is paramount, small rocks and even sand can eventually penetrate the vapor barrier plus it messes up the rollers when applying the sealer.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Are they both the same exact products? as far as flooring...?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Flor, Both high-end Pergo and installed a few years apart.
What I was commenting on was the fact that the 1 floating floor has ceased to be floating and has not had any problems whereas the fully floating floor with light furniture, has.
I am trying to accumulate the info to justify the additional cost of sealing the slab, a contriversial point in laminate flooring. I was alerted to this problem here by a retired flooring contractor who had the problem after installing Swiftlock. The sealer was his recommendation and I was doing my first laminate floor. 7 yrs. later, 100's of floors and no complaints. Good enough for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts