Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a floating floor over a slab. I will seal the concrete with a sealer then go with a vapor barrier then a cushion.

The problem I am having is that I was going with the Swiftlock flooring and I am afraid of the water damage. Consumer Reports has a report on it but I don't subscribe so I don't have access to it. The family has a dog that isn't all the way potty trained and a 2 year old daughter. The problem is being worried that if something gets spilled or the dog pees and no one is around to see it at that moment and it is there for an hour will the floor be messed up?

Anyone have any experience with this? The other option is a 5 layer pressed floating floor with the wood being the top layer ofcourse. The family wants to stay in budget for this 900sqft and the 5 layer flooring adds about $500-$600 that they would like to avoid if possible.

I am also worried about if something sharp or heavy falls and damages the Swiftlock floor b/c it is pressed paper and has a "plastic" top that would be hard to color match.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've seen what water will do to laminated flooring. The edges will curl at the seams.

The dog pee will defiantly cause damage. None of the manufacturers ,that I know of ,warranty water damage.

I usually recommend ceramic tile. I am sure that tile is way over budget.--MIKE--

·
Registered
455 Posts
There is no magic answer to this. Pet urine left standing will ruin any wood or laminate floor. As will a heavy object dropping.

You may want to look into vinyl strip plank or LVT..(luxury vinyl tile).Karndean or Metroflor are a couple of brands to check out.

I have it through my entire house . We have a 4 month old puppy and the unfortunate accidents wipe right up.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Go with lvp

I concurr with Mike. Luxury vinyl plank or tile is so superior to laminate it isn't funny. I carry Karndean, think it has superior look and patterns. NAFCO is very good, couple of other brands are okay.

If on concrete make sure there aren't any rolls in the floor, they will show up once the lvp or lvt is down. If on wood subfloor we use fiberock underlayment, prep the seams with Ardex or similar. Again, any humped place in the subfloor will show up. Floor prep is very important.

So many technical advantages vs laminate, or even wood, we have been selling a much higher percentage as a total of sales.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts