Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant find where these small flies are coming from in my apartment, we are clean and tidy and the trashcan is outside in the courtyard. I suspect its either the garbage disposal in the sink or the extractor in the laundry/pantry.

Anyone had this before?

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
If you see flies, what kind? Fruit flies? Drain flies? (Google and see.) If you have drain flies, make sure there are no dry traps, including floor drains. Even if a trap isn't dry, sometimes they can thrive on the gooey pipe walls just under the strainer (eg. shower drain). If so, remove the strainer and give it a scrubbing with an over-sized bottle brush ("dollar" stores are helpful for find those cheaply.)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you see flies, what kind? Fruit flies? Drain flies? (Google and see.) If you have drain flies, make sure there are no dry traps, including floor drains. Even if a trap isn't dry, sometimes they can thrive on the gooey pipe walls just under the strainer (eg. shower drain). If so, remove the strainer and give it a scrubbing with an over-sized bottle brush ("dollar" stores are helpful for find those cheaply.)
Ive never heard of drain flies, these flies look exactly the hatchlings we used to feed our frogs as kids. Anything I can run through the system to kill them or anything?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had this happen one time, turns out a neighbor had passed away and nobody knew it for a month or two. We could not figure out why we had so many flies until we saw the fire department break her door down....:eek:
I actually havent seen the militant bulldykes nextdoor for a while, haha.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So apparently duct tape with airholes over the sink will catch them to see if its the drain theyre coming from.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bottle brush in the disposal is what I recommend. Also, you can dump ice down it and turn it on if it is one of the more powerful units and it will scrub the inside of it. Drano can help eat that stuff away in the drains. Ace hardware sells a $15 light trap you could put it in the outlet by the sink.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts