Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'll admit it....Although the ads are a joke, I'm giving it some thought for a roof leak around a pair of skylights (side by side). I'd use the Rustoleum knock-off. Anybody else? I can't figure out this %$#%^ leak. I'm starting to wonder about the 1.5" gap between the two skylights. Grrrr.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
It's junk. I bought some to investigate. While it did hold water on a screen, it did not make a leaking gutter joint water tight.

Next time I need to make a screen door hold water it will be my go to material, otherwise it's a typical "As Seen On TV" product and meant for the late night TV watcher with room on their CC.

·
Registered
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's junk. I bought some to investigate. While it did hold water on a screen, it did not make a leaking gutter joint water tight.

Next time I need to make a screen door hold water it will be my go to material, otherwise it's a typical "As Seen On TV" product and meant for the late night TV watcher with room on their CC.
Thanks. I was curious to try it first-hand. Appreciate the scientific method.

Side note on gutter seams: I know others have mentioned geocell caulk for them, but for an occasional repair, I've had success with the gutter patch kits - the one's with aluminum face and thick-grey backing. Sticky as heck on a clean surface and don't seem to tear or come loose. I put 'em on the inside surface.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
The initial thing that turned me off was the price. $13 a can was just way too much. :no:

I believe that FlexSeal can stop most leaks for a very long time. But what they don't tell you is that 90% of the time you'll never reach the actual cause of the leak with the spray nozzle.

If this product does everything it claims to do, I'd be willing to bet that there are several more products in the paint and hardware aisle that do the same thing with better results for less than half the price. PlastiDip in the aerosol spray can is between $5-$6.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Thanks. I was curious to try it first-hand. Appreciate the scientific method.

Side note on gutter seams: I know others have mentioned geocell caulk for them, but for an occasional repair, I've had success with the gutter patch kits - the one's with aluminum face and thick-grey backing. Sticky as heck on a clean surface and don't seem to tear or come loose. I put 'em on the inside surface.
gutter patch kit? :blink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.