Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a porch restoration on a porch with a rounded roof. I need to install gutter on the rounded section,other that cutting std alum gutter into several 5 inch pieces what other ways can this be done.

·
Registered
992 Posts
U can order custom bent copper.It's about $150 a ft with out hangers!! We have done a few.

The best way is their is a co out of Texas that makes them ouit of fiberglass from what i understand u would never know the diffrence. I believe they can come in 8 ft sections

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
question,

I remember a 15-16 years back, there was a gutter firm we used for the same situation - He had a backer for the K section of the gutter - 4 solid steel shaped bearings 2 on either side, the runner - flat steel bearing (same dimension as the runner) and 1 steel bearing on the center of the facial section and he could regulate the arch - it was amazing piece of equipment-Copper ,,,of coarse . Check your local gutter distributors, they may have some attachment as part of their offered services- ask around, you never know, and good luck!

try this company http://www.ornametals.com/products/catalog/index.php?cPath=100_150

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Do it with wood.
Line it with sheet lead.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Yankee gutters ...maybe??

Seems like that's what's on most round porches, 'round here:rolleyes:

·
copper magnet
806 Posts
I'm doing a porch restoration on a porch with a rounded roof. I need to install gutter on the rounded section,other that cutting std alum gutter into several 5 inch pieces what other ways can this be done.
Using a SCMS with the proper blade, a nice looking segmented gutter can be created (we seldom have to use pieces much shorter than a foot). If a true radiused gutter is desired, this is about the best deal I've found:

http://www.classicgutters.com/Nehemiah/00000588.html

edit: The built in gutter is also a good option, but typically a curved crown molding would have to be milled and that's not cheap either. I'd use copper to line the built in gutter, rather than a membrane.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
What was there originally?

If this is an historical restoration, regular K gutters will look out of place.

I would suggest you get together with someone like Seeyou, Grant is his name, and work something out.

By the way Seeyou, good to see you posting!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If Im reading this right, you guys are charging $40 ft for segemeted ( curved ) 6 inch half round copper gutters? My goodness that cheap, unless your riveting and caulking the joints and doesnt include hangers.

Last job I did I got $60. Curved would be more like $80 +. Now if I was eastern european or from south of the border then $40 would sound right.

For those prices one is just doing the work because they want to, not to make money. Those are prices from 10-15 years ago.

·
copper magnet
806 Posts
If Im reading this right, you guys are charging $40 ft for segemeted ( curved ) 6 inch half round copper gutters? My goodness that cheap, unless your riveting and caulking the joints and doesnt include hangers.

Last job I did I got $60. Curved would be more like $80 +. Now if I was eastern european or from south of the border then $40 would sound right.

For those prices one is just doing the work because they want to, not to make money. Those are prices from 10-15 years ago.
I charge a little over $40 a foot for a slight radius segmented 5" copper K style, soldered, out the door, not including hangers. We hang it, it's more. Larger sizes, tighter radius, or half round = more $. We're pretty darn efficient at it - we do it regularly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, around here you cant get those prices. Well, usually you cant.

$40.00 a ft. For copper 6 inch half round is good money around here. I get undercut at that all the time. All soldered and custom cut. Usually undercut by hacks who really don't know a thing about copper.

$50.00 a miter/cut at least so that brings your "flexible gutter job up in price!"

So 150 ft. of gutter with 50 cuts your looking @ $8500.00

1 - 19 of 19 Posts