Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am installing a stamped concrete porch that will be in contact with the foundation and 3" of the sheathing. Is there a product like ice&water membrane that can be used rather than the metal flashing? I like the idea of a peel & stick membrane for the ease of installation.

The porch is 5' wide and 20' long & 5" slab. It has a stem wall on the two exterior sides that the slab will sit on. the other 5' side is brick and the 20' is the residence with no brick. I plan on putting expansion joint material along these sides. I am doweling the stem wall every 4' foot and and installing 1/2" rebar and tying to 20' lengths running the length of the porch. Should I dowel the foundation wall at an angle below the expansion material and install 1/2" rebar every 4-5' to stop any settling around the foundation?

I have 12" of fill sand sand packed in 6" lifts inside the stem walls.

Thanks

Doug N.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Your post is a little confusing to me.As I se it your planning on drilling rebar into the 20' wall of the existing structure.What good is an expansion joint if you try and tie the new structure into the old with rebar.The rebar will not stop setteling in this area.It will only pop.
Think maybe you should hire a real contractor.If I'm wrong ,post some pics or give a better explanation of what you are doing?
Makes no sence to me to put in expansion joint and then try and tie it in with reabar.
I hope I'm misunderstanding your post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Mako1

I was not very clear in my post.

I would dig a 1' by 1' hole below the expansion joint material and would drill into the foundation and put in rebar and fill with concrete. This would be done before the slab is poured and have time to set. It would act as shelf for the slab to sit on to stop settling. It would not be monolithic pour. Sorry for any confusion.

What about a flexible flashing?

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Do not tie the moving concrete into a non-moving footing! bad juju there!

If you are worried about the pad sinking, use angle iron and redhead it into the foundation. The pad can sit on it but will still allow expansion, do put an expansion material on the joint.

What kind of material is the footing? Block or poured, makes a huge difference. If it's poured you can use smooth 5/8" steel dowels and grease them but if block, no way in hell. It has the potential to blow that block apart.

If you are a home owner there is a ton that can be fvcked up here, hire someone to at least look at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts