Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Box Builder
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting rid of my bed and going flatbed. I should have already done it, before I put money into the bed a few years ago due to rust. I'm looking a trust repairs again, but I know the fix will only be good for a few years. Has anyone gone with a flatbed on their shortbed truck? Do you like it? I currently run system one rack and boxes. I would like to keep the boxes, but don't know if I can keep the rack too. I was thinking about regular square boxes on the side of the bed with the system one boxes and rack mounted to that. But that is almost more like a utility bed thank anything. Anyone got a short bed pic? That just look kinda weird being as wide as they are long. I'm running a 05 ford crewcab

·
Registered
261 Posts
im assuming you have a 3/4 or 1 ton (1/2 ton will have used most of the payload capacity just for the flatbed). I've seen them, and they look a little goofy, but definitely more usable than a standard 6.5 box; they can be stretched out a bit too to make them more like 7+' long. You probably have to get creative to make the racks/boxes work in a reasonable manner

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I see flatbeds on shortbeds all the time. Farmers have them alot. Usually I see aluminum ones. They don't all have the bale lifters.
For construction a flatbed with toolboxes mounted on the sides should work well. I've seen them in the past. One ton dually. Homeade ladder rack.

·
Registered
747 Posts
You can get new Take Off beds with a tailgate and bumper for around $2600.
The bed on my 04 is getting a little squishy. I got a quote from a welder bud of mine. One week and $500. He will replace all of the cross members and patch the floor.

·
Box Builder
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't do it. It won't last. I've put in a combined $1800 and $2700 including cab corners into my bed. It's about to explode again. It makes me sick, but I'm going to sell truck or go flatbed.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Around here it seems like most of the mid 2k SD trucks have flat beds on them. I have seen some rather nice 6' aluminum beds with built in head boards, led lights, etc. Thanks for the heads up with the welding.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The aluminum utility beds are supposed to be the lightest. I just sold my truck with an Astoria fiberglass bed on it. It was light. The best thing is no rust. They are still in business. Located in Iowa.

The steel utility beds are heavy. They also rust. Got rid of one last year. Don't plan on getting another one. Kills the gas mileage.

I've been driving the new truck for 1 day. I already miss my utility bed.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Service / utility are interchangeable. If your truck is a diesel I doubt that you will see huge MPG differences due to weight. If your truck is gas then lighter is definitely important.

Whatever you decide it will be a significant investment. How many miles and what trim package is your truck? It might be time just to dump it.

·
Box Builder
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Flatbed On A Short Bed Pickup Frame

It was time to dump it when I bought it. 2005 f350 lariat. V10 Crew cab 4wd 119k. I usually keep my vehicles over 200k

·
Registered
747 Posts
I stopped by my welders today. Made plans to bring ole blue in for bed repairs. Apparently he is going to use adhesive to mount the new bed cross members. He claims if the new cross members are welded the welded areas will rust out fast.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts