Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will install both wood floor and porcelain tiles on plywood subfloor. I want the transition to be as flat as possible without using transition strips.

The lowest thickness of tile floor is 3/4"~7/8" (1/4" hardie backer, 1/4" thinset, 1/4"-3/8" porcelain tile), but the thickest engineer wood is 3/4" and is very expensive ($10+/sqft) with limited selection of colors.

The other option is to use 1/2"~5/8" thickness engineer wood + 1/4" Hardie backer. But I am wondering if there is other low-cost options to raise the wood floor to 3/4"~7/8"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Look at a tile underlayment like Schluter Ditra which is an 1/8". You should be able to finish out at around 5/8" with that and it's a dream compared to installing hardie backer. Just make sure you follow their instructions which are very good and if you have any questions ask them.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
They also have Ditra XL which is thicker and designed to meet up with 3/4" flooring

Schluter has a few transition options for that as well, so you're not just grouting the wood/ tile joint

- Rich

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Look at a tile underlayment like Schluter Ditra which is an 1/8". You should be able to finish out at around 5/8" with that and it's a dream compared to installing hardie backer. Just make sure you follow their instructions which are very good and if you have any questions ask them.
That’s exactly what I use, depending on the tile just depends on which notch trowel I use!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I find Schluter Ditra to be much more expensive than Hardie Backer. $1.7/sqft vs $0.7/sqft.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Why are you installing hardiebacker under the tile? It doesn’t add any strength to the subfloor. In your case it just makes the tile assembly higher.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The hardie backer is not to make the subfloor stronger, but to accommodate the expansion/movement of subfloor and not to crack the tiles above it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have always being using cement board for tile installing on plywood in California. Ditra is a relatively new thing to me.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
There's nothing wrong with cement board when done properly. But a layer that gives a break from the movement of the structure to the tile is an uncoupling membrane. Ditra costs more, but the speed at which it can be installed doesn't even compare. 323 sf roll of ditra weighs maybe 40-50 lbs, plus maybe 3 bags of thin set. You'd need 22 boards of hardi @ 28 lbs each to cover the same area. I know what I'd rather carry in

- Rich

·
Registered
297 Posts
It’s like a thick coat of rubbery paint. It can be used as a waterproof membrane. A little expensive, but no cutting to fit, don’t need to use a bed of thinset to adhere it to the floor, goes on quickly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts