Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a flat roof for myself at moment and have a concrete base with wooden upstands. I have primed the whole roof and leaving to dry until tomorrow. I have a torch underlay to go on first and then a mineral torch cap sheet, so a two layer felt roof. Is it best to run the underlay straight up to under the termination strip (an alluminium strip at the end with a lip) and then the top layer straight into the lip. Or should I lay the top sheet up to the bottom of the upstand and then lay a strip at the end of the run covering the upstand and into the lip of the alluminium strip and also covering the top sheet. So the last piece is about a foot long to finish off the ends. Or should tboth sheets be laid to under the termination strip and then a final piece be laid over the top sheet (about a foot long) and then tucked into the termination strip. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
First pick up the phone and either call a roofer to do this for you OR pick up the same phone and call the fire department to be on stand by when you begin using that torch.

I forseee in a few weeks or months questions on how to repair a leaking mod bit roof.

Seriously though, if this roof is on a building you own, why are you installing a 12 year rated roof?

If you insist on doing this yourself, before you start please do yourself two favors. 1) buy the firestone installation DVD. They are the only manufacturer I know of that has a mod bit installation video. 2) Make sure you have a fire extinguisher on the roof with you no less than 5' away from you at all time. 3) Do a one hour fire watch at the completion of each day you are torching to make sure there is no smoldering beneath the roof.

Robert, I've got no problem with T bar. We use either T bar or counter flashing like you described. Just depending on the situation. If the customer wants a full system warranty on the roof, that includes T bar on single ply roofs. If they want cheap, it's T bar since it's a few pennies per foot less than galvanized counter flashing. If someone is cheaper than us and I need to justify my higher price, it's counter flashing. Heck most guys around here don't use T bar or counter flashing anyways. Hard to complete on price with that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts