Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
So did we ever find the problem on this one??

Is that an aluminum coating? Or white? And I can't believe no one has suggested the obvious fix.. or should I say the "CT way" tear the whole thing off and start over!

Ah ha holy crap my dog just fell off the bed. She was layin here sleepin and tried to roll over but she was too close to the edge.. haha.. now she's lookin at me like I pushed her. Lol. Stupid

Anyway. I would bet there's a heck of a lot more water trapped in that roof than you think. And there really are no fixes once it gets that bad. You could chase leaks on that one all day but w the interior getting ruined, and the cost of 1985s plane ticket, per diem and lodging.... they might as well reroof it.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
tear off and put a pitched metal roof on it....problem solved for good!

I know old thread and prbebly pookied over by now but it will leak soon mark my words all leaky flat roofs do

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
wondered how long it take someone to catch the "leaky" part

I still dont like BuR and nothing will ever change my mind on that. 15 year roof if your lucky in the sunny SW. We have waivers and such signed before we step foot on one releasing us from any damage. Even less of a fan of elasto systems

Shane they dont use levels around here much.....the only level things sometimes are the roofs and Im not BSing. I pitched one a year ago on main st that we shot with laser one night and it had -1/4" in 45 foot. It had bur redone 15or 16 years ago and foam over that 5 years ago. Now it is 3:12 with 24 ga metal roof, only 2 pertrusions on the ridge at the end for power and turd venting. Had 14 pertrusions on the flat but now with an attic there was room to tie things together and hide all the ac stuff

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
In other parts of the world asphalt products may last longer but in the southwest not so much......just drive down any 5 year old hiway if it isnt buckeling its got some good cracks and grooves to follow in
The higher UV, Higher temps, and Lower humidity creates havoc on alot of products. pea gravel on the BuRs here ends up enbedded in the tar its that hot at times.

Then theres wood products, shipped in wet ( kiln dried is wet compared to single didgit humidity) we build with it, it shrinks more, then ocaisionly it rains for a couple days and things swell up and crack stuff. This leads to bubbles in them BUR roofs and elasto to delam and bubble thats a good place for a leak come hail or someone walking on it

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The gravel should be embedded in to the asphalt when the roof is finished. I understand the heat and degradation of the asphalt. That is why it is important to have a proper flood coat when graveling. While the asphalt may still get soft it shouldnt get to the point when walking on it forces the gravel through the plys of felt.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Phewww! I almost thought I was doin it wrong for a second. Lol. I'm a tpo girl, but I've always thought BUR was one of the better systems, given its done correctly. And doesn't that usually entail the asphalt being covered by the rock? Anything black on the roof is typically not uv resistant, so if the asphalt is exposed....well its going to crack. So while a lot of it gets sunk into the asphalt, there should be another "layer" so to speak on top of that.

I'm in Texas and I'm pretty sure it doesn't get hotter anywhere than here. I've always heard BUR systems are 30 year roofs. But I've been on quite a few that were at their 30 year mark and they were problematic to say the least.

I think a huge part of the problem is that building owners let anyone and everyone up on the roof. And any owner like that is usually the first to refuse the walkboards, seeing it as an unnecessary expense.

After dealing with this several times, I decided to give my customers a choice between walkboards or a limited warranty. I also offer an extended warranty after the labor warranty is up that allows me to do two inspections a year and actually "maintain" the roof properly. I'm over getting the blame for leaks when the hvac guys were up there sweating pipes and burnt holes in the membrane or the cable people screwed a satellite in it. Oh but lets not forget the bums that throw beer bottles up there. I even found a syringe once.

So with the extended warranty, I can let you know that your maintenance guy has a heroin problem BEFORE your roof becomes his favorite place to tie off. Warranties should be more about roofers assuring the roof doesn't leak instead of insuring it when it does. 2 inspections a year is a lot less time consuming than chasing down leaks on a flat roof... a lot cheaper too. If someone isn't willing to let us maintain our work, why should we be willing to warranty it?

·
Designer/Contractor
5,041 Posts
I think a huge part of the problem is that building owners let anyone and everyone up on the roof. And any owner like that is usually the first to refuse the walkboards, seeing it as an unnecessary expense.
No, who would ever do that? P.S. Love the guardrails also; I can imagine the insurance agent for that property having a coronary while during a drive by and seeing this action going on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Damage from foot traffic for warranty work? Hahhahaha hell no hvac guys are the worst always leaving screws everywhere. Walk pads? Lol may as well put a sign up saying walk anywhere but where we have added extra protection!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Ive seen the water come out as the roof heats up- the soaked up moisture and water have no where to go when it heats up, and comes out in spots- it also breaks sealant looking for somewhere to go.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Damage from foot traffic for warranty work? Hahhahaha hell no hvac guys are the worst always leaving screws everywhere. Walk pads? Lol may as well put a sign up saying walk anywhere but where we have added extra protection!
yeah theres nothing you can do really to keep people off the roof. Except VOID the warranty. lol..

21 - 39 of 39 Posts