Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
11,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Roof dudes, I need your guidance. Also, I probably need one of your phone numbers.

Friends of mine just bought a place in the city here. I'm painting it this week. I noticed there is water damage on the ceilings of two rooms. They said the home inspector felt that there wasn't an issue. I now feel like the was an issue with the home inspector.
I went up to the roof and found the problem about as fast as I got onto the roof.
It hasn't rained in days and there is water pooled at a seam. Additionally, there is water all up under one course. If you kind of scoot your foot or hand along you can squish more water out of the hole in the seam.
My question is whether or not a seam that isn't properly adhered can suction water into itself or if the problem is actually an intrusion elsewhere on the roof and this puddle is just the exit.

Here's some pictures of the puddle. The close ups were taken at the bottom of the roof near the last vent between the vent and the chimney.

Any advice is welcome. If you're reading this and your company works in Jersey City Heights, send me a PM.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'd say water travels to a lot of places but probably not up and back out. I'd also add to that if the water can exit it can enter too so, one way or the other you found at least one problem.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,222 Posts
You don't have to have a roof problem to get stained ceilings - moisture getting trapped and condensing can make a pretty big mess, especially with either metal roofing or membrane roofing.

Someone is going to have to go over the roof checking seams, etc to see what's up with the roof, since there a known defect.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Water can do really odd things, more so when a building has negative air pressure. With that being said a asphalt roof like that has (or should have) multiple plys of sheets so the likely hood of it being that seam isn't super high. It could be a problem though through out a freeze thaw cycle. I noticed the edge was not striped in properly. This could mean someone could have just moped/torched another cap sheet down, or it was just plain done wrong.

Depending on how far the leak is from the edge I'd start on the drip edge voids there are much worse then in a seam of a multi ply roof. You could also get a bucket of mastic and a roll of membrane and "patch" that seam and run a hose on it.

Now if it is multiple roofs this is where things get tricky. That area could have been a bad spot in the original roof, now the top roof has developed a problem somewhere and is finding the point of exit. What that means is the actual problem (besides the mutilple roofs) could be almost anywhere. We've had them where they would travel 20-30' before everywhere, including uphill (tapered ISO over original roof), if the top is sloped it doesn't necessarily mean the original wasn't dead flat.

Also it could depend on what deck type it is, if it's poured concrete god help you, it compounds your problems by 20.

I'd start with a good ol bucket of karnak and some asphalt rag, 6" type. Start by spot patching suspected areas and test here and there.

Looking more closely at the photos it looks as if the roof was coated recently, and the way the seams on the cap sheet line up tell me someone with little experience did the lay over.

I'm going to go with 2-3 asphalt roofs (original roof is possibly asphalt and gravel) 2nd roof is a coverboard fiberboard or perlite and a 1 or 2 ply lay over. Oh and a wood deck. Anyone have any other guesses? :clap:

I'm not anywhere near NJ but I'd come take a look at it once my round trip ticket arrives, I'll PM you for where to send it. I'd also need hotel room (preferably 4 star) all meals and a $800 a day per diem. :laughing:

Start by spot patching, maybe even do a test cut to tell me how close I am of how the roof(s) were made up. Once you spot patch the bad areas, let them sit for at least 30 days then coat the areas with Alumicoating from what ever box store you have close. Then tell your buddy to start saving for a new properly done roof.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,222 Posts
Water can do really odd things, more so when a building has negative air pressure. With that being said a asphalt roof like that has (or should have) multiple plys of sheets so the likely hood of it being that seam isn't super high. It could be a problem though through out a freeze thaw cycle. I noticed the edge was not striped in properly. This could mean someone could have just moped/torched another cap sheet down, or it was just plain done wrong.

Depending on how far the leak is from the edge I'd start on the drip edge voids there are much worse then in a seam of a multi ply roof. You could also get a bucket of mastic and a roll of membrane and "patch" that seam and run a hose on it.

Now if it is multiple roofs this is where things get tricky. That area could have been a bad spot in the original roof, now the top roof has developed a problem somewhere and is finding the point of exit. What that means is the actual problem (besides the mutilple roofs) could be almost anywhere. We've had them where they would travel 20-30' before everywhere, including uphill (tapered ISO over original roof), if the top is sloped it doesn't necessarily mean the original wasn't dead flat.

Also it could depend on what deck type it is, if it's poured concrete god help you, it compounds your problems by 20.

I'd start with a good ol bucket of karnak and some asphalt rag, 6" type. Start by spot patching suspected areas and test here and there.

Looking more closely at the photos it looks as if the roof was coated recently, and the way the seams on the cap sheet line up tell me someone with little experience did the lay over.

I'm going to go with 2-3 asphalt roofs (original roof is possibly asphalt and gravel) 2nd roof is a coverboard fiberboard or perlite and a 1 or 2 ply lay over. Oh and a wood deck. Anyone have any other guesses? :clap:

I'm not anywhere near NJ but I'd come take a look at it once my round trip ticket arrives, I'll PM you for where to send it. I'd also need hotel room (preferably 4 star) all meals and a $800 a day per diem. :laughing:

Start by spot patching, maybe even do a test cut to tell me how close I am of how the roof(s) were made up. Once you spot patch the bad areas, let them sit for at least 30 days then coat the areas with Alumicoating from what ever box store you have close. Then tell your buddy to start saving for a new properly done roof.
And that sums up what I hate about roofs.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
And that sums up what I hate about roofs.
It also sums up why a good repair guy is worth his weight in gold, you know unless he is like 300 lbs then maybe not so much.

Just like anything else, it's experience. Although I will say there has been more then a few leaks over the years that have made all of us look like fools at some point.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
I have been learning to use a FLIR thermal image camera, those things are cool in seeing were eyes cant,
for moister problems its actually great in finding problems.

Reactions: roofermann

·
Registered
648 Posts
Someone is just dying to get out of Nebraska. :laughing:

Is all the brown stuff just dirt and mud or is that the roof?

·
Registered
Remodel
30,222 Posts
I have been learning to use a FLIR thermal image camera, those things are cool in seeing were eyes cant,
for moister problems its actually great in finding problems.

I have a thermal imager - they're good, but really an experienced roofer's judgement is still needed. Ask Madrina about that.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
If there was a bad seam, during the winter the water will melt and ice up repeatedly and if water get into a bad seam it will expand the bad seam by a freezing cycle and at that point it will open up even more.

I take it that was just 1 area that was re-roofed......judging by how the seams are not staggered - .? Old with newer APP....:blink:

JMPO ,

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You forgot to quote "roof". That's no roof that's a layover.

Someone is just dying to get out of Nebraska. :laughing:

Is all the brown stuff just dirt and mud or is that the roof?
I need a vacation! Do you think I'm charging to much for this vacation. :whistling

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I think it goes back to the '83 Orange Bowl.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts