Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK- So, my worker got a call from his buddy to re-roof 9sq on Saturday, couple weeks ago. He's thinkin no big deal, I'll just go bang it out in a few hours. Ends up the job was a couple miles from where we where working so, suggest to him that he go look at before he makes an hour drive from home and find out there's a problem. So, over lunch we go check it out. 3 car earthbound, flat roof with rail system on 3 sides. Joists are fine but, everything else is completely rotted out including all 3 garage doors and trim work. Highest spot in roof is in the center and it slopes down to all 4 corners. It's covered with rolls of granulated asphalt. On top of it people are using it as a patio, until a chair leg went through. And it's a rental.

My worker told him no, "I'm not laying 3 tab shingles down on a flat roof". So, That's where I come in. I shoot from the hip and shout out a # of what it would probably cost and go on my way. Well, buddy calls yesterday and says can you be there Monday?

So, now I'm gonna work up a bid for him. What do I lay down for this roof that can be used as a patio? I want to build a deck there but, he's in the $5K range for the whole project and I can't do decking on top of all that work that needs to be done. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I shouted out a price, to my worker, that it would be ATLEAST that much depending on what they wanted to do.

Ends up that HO, slumlord called me and Then I was able to find out what exactly was going on and what they wanted. Where doing a modified granulated and putting up a fence so noone can get up there.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts