Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did a maintenence job on a flat roof for an apartment building recently. Sealed all pipes/skylights/hvac units etc sine the roof is still in good condition and did not show signs of cracks or bubbling etc anywhere. But when it rains, a few of these units reported leaks and after checking the roof numerous times, we can't see any place where water can come through. We walked the whole roof and checked everything and see no signs of water going through. The only thing I can think of is an issue with the drains over the units below. Everything is coated around the drains, so could this be a plumbing issue?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
First, was it leaking before you did your maintenance job?

Second: What type of roof is it?

Your asking if it could be a plumbing issue. Yes, it could, but....you said a few of the units complained about leaks. It is unlikely there is a plumbing issue in a few units. One, maybe, but not a few.

·
Pro
49 Posts
Had something similar happen on an apartment complex I worked on. Turned out a resident had gone on the roof and hit each pipe jack boot cracking the pipes below. We put hood vents on each pipe to isolate the issue before determining exactly what had happened. Another resident at the complex actually verified our findings... He said he saw a teenager on the roof doing it!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sometimes it just takes a few trips back to get these goofy leaks figured out. Make sure you send someone that is conscientious and cares, and send the same guy back each time and it will get figured out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. Its a flat roof and the roof itself seems fine. There are no pipes or skylights around the leaks except for the drain and it's coated all over already. That's why Im thinking it can be something inside the drain and not on the roof

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
So what type of roof is it? The reason I ask, I’ve seen quite a few rubber roofs where the corner laps have been done incorrectly. They are leaking, but it doesn’t show up until 20’ away, because the water is running under the rubber, but on top of an old roof, that is under the rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,797 Posts
It has been my experience that the roof mounted hvac units can leak inside themselves.

Drain pan can be rusted or damaged.

Or the rain can blow thru the units resulting in leaks.

Also condensate lines can leak.

Builditguy has it right that where the water shows up can be a long ways from the leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can check it by visiting the apartment complex on a sunny day and run water throw this drain...
If it starts leaking it probably a plumbing issue and plumber should visit there to check it up, if not try to look for penetration area such as skylight, HVAC platform, Pipe boots etc...
Flat roof repair is a bit tricky.., what roof type it is? TPO, EPDM, BUILD UP??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts