Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We put in a lot of dry set patios and walks, but not much over concrete. Now we are doing a stoop, covering the concrete with brick. We will mortar set the brick onto the stoop. I noticed that someone had suggested putting dry mortar in the spaces and misting it with water. This sounds like a great idea to me. I wonder what else we need to know about that. Will the mortar shrink at all? I am assuming that our joints will be flat and not tuckpointed so that the least amount of water will stay. I wonder how big our joint should be?
The concrete is existing, but we had to expand it by 8" for the soldier course. We poured the concrete today and I wonder when it's okay to start laying bricks on the new concrete. Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
414 Posts
No offense sounds like you need to hire a mason or else your gonna need to hire one to come back and fix your sprinkled in mortar that you wet. With a hose

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I've done that stye a few times but never over a wet laid patio. Now that polymeric sand is out I probably would just use it, same concept. It firms up enough tp keep most of the water out but is still slightly flexible. Over concrete i would use normal mortar joints or you're just inviting water in

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I've PL'd flags to concrete and used normal mortar in the joints. I can't remember why I used PL but there was a reason at the time I think. I just got a job from that homeowners recommendation so I'm sure it's holding up allright

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Anyone ever PL the bricks down and sweep poli sand in?
I have done edges like that. PL the border, notch a board and put a thin layer of mason sand down, dry lay bricks like normal and sweep in poly

You have to glue the head joints on the bricks too or else your poly will fall out.

Seemed to work just fine like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts