Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were talking today, and trying to figure out why flat head screws aren't illegal, or at the very least, why are they still produced when so many far superior drive of screw are produced today? Does anyone like a flat head screw?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
We were talking today, and trying to figure out why flat head screws aren't illegal, or at the very least, why are they still produced when so many far superior drive of screw are produced today? Does anyone like a flat head screw?
Aesthetics.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,651 Posts
Patsfanindallas said:
Haha, right. Because customers tell me all the time that they hate Philips screw heads.
No but they do look better and more finished

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
49,935 Posts
You can still get more torque off them than you could with a philips head. Square and torque are nice too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Up here in Canada, we are told they exist because the Robertson, (square drive), screw head is not liked by American companies as it is a Canadian invention and huge competitor to the Standard drive screw....

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SticksandStones said:
Up here in Canada, we are told they exist because the Robertson, (square drive), screw head is not liked by American companies as it is a Canadian invention and huge competitor to the Standard drive screw....
I love the Robertson drive, as long as its a quality brand.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
You can still get more torque off them than you could with a philips head. Square and torque are nice too.
Really? There is less surface area...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Did I miss something here? Flat head screws come in all types of bit things, philips, square, torx, etc.? Are ya talking about the old "slotted" single blade type?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave in Pa said:
Did I miss something here? Flat head screws come in all types of bit things, philips, square, torx, etc.? Are ya talking about the old "slotted" single blade type?
I knew some smart guy was gonna say that. YES slotted.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave in Pa said:
I sure did miss something here? Read back through, and still lost??? LOL
What did you miss Dave? Talking about a "slotted" or as most people would call it, a flat head screw, to which a flat head screw driver would drive.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
23,564 Posts
I find myself using the brass variety for small stuff with brass hinges. I learned long ago to always use a steel Phillips screw of the same size to create the threads in wood. I also wax the brass before it gets driven in. I hate 'em.
Every time I work on an old door, I'm amazed that the guy who installed it 100 years ago in white oak didn't mess up the edge of the slot.
Did I mention I hate 'em?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
49,935 Posts
Really? There is less surface area...
You are looking at it wrong. With the flathead the screw driver tip is going across the whole area of the top of the screw. That gives maximum torque.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Chris, for your knowledge, around here he do things different, call things by the name they are! NOT like "most people" do. A flat head is flat, a round head is rounded, bugle head/like it states, etc.. I am sorry that I misunderstood your lingo, just trying to help out, MY BAD!
Won't do it again!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave in Pa said:
Chris, for your knowledge, around here he do things different, call things by the name they are! NOT like "most people" do. A flat head is flat, a round head is rounded, bugle head/like it states, etc.. I am sorry that I misunderstood your lingo, just trying to help out, MY BAD!
Won't do it again!
Sorry Dave, thought you were being a smart a$$. I assumed everyone would know what I was talking about when I said flat head screw.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Well...I would tend to agree with Dave about the flat head. I knew what you were saying though.

Flat head screw driver...slotted screw. A flat head screw can be slotted, phillips, square, torx, etc.

The old slotted screws are extremely popular here for the older homes. You just ruin the home with modern hardware if you are working on something 150 years old.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kent Whitten said:
Well...I would tend to agree with Dave about the flat head. I knew what you were saying though.

Flat head screw driver...slotted screw. A flat head screw can be slotted, phillips, square, torx, etc.

The old slotted screws are extremely popular here for the older homes. You just ruin the home with modern hardware if you are working on something 150 years old.
And there it is. The only reason for slotted screws. Again my apologies to Dave. I honestly didn't think anyone would interpret flat head screw as anything else.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts