Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to using the flat boxes and I'm trying to find a way to minimize any pinholes or air bubbles in my flats after I second coat without adding any soap. I'm using the lightweight usg compound with a ten inch box all seams are vertical also so I'm not able to really run the box in two directions like I would a horizontal joint. I've tried mixing at half speed and not pulling the paddle out of the mud at all and I will go over the flats 2x when I coat them to help minimize Any air bubbles or pinholes. I've noticed if I just skim them one extra time after it dries they will all go away but I'm trying to just run one 10 then one 12 inch box then sand if I coat 3 times the extra time really adds up when your doing hundreds of boards. I have seen people add soap and also vacume sand between coats I would like to avoid both if I could, soap worries me that it could have an effect on the paint. Some of the pinholes sand out at the end I've seen but I would rather have none at all, is there a secret to a perfect finish in two coats . I set my first coat usually on 1 so the flat is filled in all the way then when it dries it just requires the tight skim on 2 with some green top spackle. It seems the air holes come about b/c the second coat is filled in so well especially if the boards have a deep recess. Thxs

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Now this is just my opinion and others use it quite successfully, but I hate lightweight. I think it sucks personally. I may not have given it much of a chance but like I said that is just my opinion.

I notice that sometimes going over different materials will sometimes create bubbles. Even if they are the same brand. So using lightweight over setting compound might make bubbles.

I use setting compound all the way through. Gluten for punishment I guess:laughing:

·
plasterboard/drywall stop
12 Posts
I'm new to using the flat boxes and I'm trying to find a way to minimize any pinholes or air bubbles in my flats after I second coat without adding any soap. I'm using the lightweight usg compound with a ten inch box all seams are vertical also so I'm not able to really run the box in two directions like I would a horizontal joint. I've tried mixing at half speed and not pulling the paddle out of the mud at all and I will go over the flats 2x when I coat them to help minimize Any air bubbles or pinholes. I've noticed if I just skim them one extra time after it dries they will all go away but I'm trying to just run one 10 then one 12 inch box then sand if I coat 3 times the extra time really adds up when your doing hundreds of boards. I have seen people add soap and also vacume sand between coats I would like to avoid both if I could, soap worries me that it could have an effect on the paint. Some of the pinholes sand out at the end I've seen but I would rather have none at all, is there a secret to a perfect finish in two coats . I set my first coat usually on 1 so the flat is filled in all the way then when it dries it just requires the tight skim on 2 with some green top spackle. It seems the air holes come about b/c the second coat is filled in so well especially if the boards have a deep recess. Thxs
if the soap worries you use milk instead-does the same think

1 - 5 of 5 Posts