Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
That guy
89 Posts
Complaining about people asking questions is so obnoxious. This isn't "what is corner bead?" or anything like that. If asking about proper technique with advanced tools like mud boxes is too basic then what the hell is this forum for?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I recommend following with a next size up knife. One light flow through. Apply with 10", follow with 12" stainless steel knife. Let dry then scrape lap line. Forget sanding. Dust in skim coat makes you finish inferior.

·
Registered
641 Posts
even a good box runner likes to do a quick sand...corners and nails get a quick sand as well even more then ever with high shoulders on the rock now

·
Registered
423 Posts
No box experience so i'm feeling a bit stupid...I don't understand why you would need to sand between coats when using boxes. You don't sand when hand finishing do you? (I don't)

Correct me if I'm wrong but.... the mud goes on with say a 10" box, Taper edges and then pull with a 12" knife?

·
Registered
110 Posts
In theory you do not really sand, you just brush down any lap marks and edges. Often times the first coat, especially with smaller boxes, will leave heavy edges. This is amplified by bad board with high shoulders. Just a little love between coats will make everything a lot smoother when running auto tools.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts