Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Flat box advice

3732 Views 13 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Mountain Man
Should you sand between the second and finish coats?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
to avoid future problems and have a perfect job must give a quick sand
Is this a DIY question? Seems pretty rudimentary for a drywall finisher to be asking
Reactions: gemerick
Maybe he's new with the mud boxes ?
Is this a DIY question? Seems pretty rudimentary for a drywall finisher to be asking
Reactions: intjonmiller
Maybe it's his first day, but yes you should sand between coats once they're dry. Google levels of gypsum board finish, it might help you.
But dont sand to much! Because the dust causes bubbles in the skim coat....:whistling
to avoid future problems and have a perfect job must give a quick sand
I do a quick vac sand the wall...:thumbsup: that help with the dust bubbles
Complaining about people asking questions is so obnoxious. This isn't "what is corner bead?" or anything like that. If asking about proper technique with advanced tools like mud boxes is too basic then what the hell is this forum for?
If you are good with the boxes a scrape with a knife will do, but when you pick up a hitchhiker and have to re box a room you will wish you did a quick sand
Reactions: icerock drywall
Well said!
If you are good with the boxes a scrape with a knife will do, but when you pick up a hitchhiker and have to re box a room you will wish you did a quick sand
I recommend following with a next size up knife. One light flow through. Apply with 10", follow with 12" stainless steel knife. Let dry then scrape lap line. Forget sanding. Dust in skim coat makes you finish inferior.
even a good box runner likes to do a quick sand...corners and nails get a quick sand as well even more then ever with high shoulders on the rock now
No box experience so i'm feeling a bit stupid...I don't understand why you would need to sand between coats when using boxes. You don't sand when hand finishing do you? (I don't)

Correct me if I'm wrong but.... the mud goes on with say a 10" box, Taper edges and then pull with a 12" knife?
In theory you do not really sand, you just brush down any lap marks and edges. Often times the first coat, especially with smaller boxes, will leave heavy edges. This is amplified by bad board with high shoulders. Just a little love between coats will make everything a lot smoother when running auto tools.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.