Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many guys do this so many ways. When you have a section of roof( typically second floor)where it meets a wall, how do you guys flash when there is existing vinyl siding or wood siding? I see most guys leaving the old step flashing and hardly anyone removing the siding and reinstalling ice shield and step.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
If it's vinyl we just pop the j with a flat bar. And slip i&w and step flashing under. If it's wood (usually cedar shakes around here) I figure in the material and labor to pull that off, and properly flash it.

I'm known for whole house remodels though, so most of the time we do roofs and siding at the same time. So I don't have much of a problem with it

·
Sean
5,534 Posts
In order to prevent leaks, not have issues, meet manufacturers guidelines & codes - there is only one real way to do it, though many prefer not to bid the cost of doing it so we end up with a mess of ways

Pull it - I&W wrapped at least 6" above flashing, step flashing (don't forget the kick out), counter flashing (I&W), Tyvek http://blog.sls-construction.com/2013/getting-details-right-roof-flashing

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
It depends on the condition of the old flashing or the warranty that is being offered to the homeowner.

Very rarely do people want to pay to replace step flashing especially if it's a wood or cement siding.

I can't think of one time where we have had a call back because of re-used step flashing but we only re-use if in solid condition and most of the time it is.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Nobodys paying for residing or the liability to replace discontinued materials if damaged.

Most contractors dont carry copper flashing either so compatibility is a problem. That being said you always reuse the flashing unless it is obviously going to be a problem. The heavy guage copper used in original construction has great durability unlike thin crap aluminum sold today.

I always write a clause for such a thing. I also have a clause in my siding contracts that tells customers there is never a better opportunity to address exposed flashing.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
power said:
So many guys do this so many ways. When you have a section of roof( typically second floor)where it meets a wall, how do you guys flash when there is existing vinyl siding or wood siding? I see most guys leaving the old step flashing and hardly anyone removing the siding and reinstalling ice shield and step.
If needs replacing . Lay 1x4 on roof edge mark wall . Cut wood , masonry , etc . Take out material do your roof then . Install material 1x4 PVC or wood . If wood cap it .

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
as a sider one of the other areas i see problems is at the corners on dormers,most times the roofer tries to wrap the step around to the front which always leaves a hole in the corner

the other would be where rake or eave boards tie into the roof with a valley directly above,most times i see the fascia cut back and shingles slid under a bit which usually is no problem until the ice backs up

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
When doing dormers I wrap my pan around and up the side, then bring my step as far down as possible. If it's vinyl I have a lot of room to play in the outside corner. I usually have over an inch of coverage from that cut in the pan. Then I just flexible seal behind that first piece of step for and Ice that might back up. And of course ice and water behind it all, and house wrap over that.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I rip it out most times myself,...behind stucco is most fun :whistling

Rarely am I finding copper or lead these days and the modern tin can soakers get fouled up during tear off. Another problem is sometimes alignment just don't work out like I want it.

Attachments

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
I rip it out most times myself,...behind stucco is most fun :whistling

Rarely am I finding copper or lead these days and the modern tin can soakers get fouled up during tear off. Another problem is sometimes alignment just don't work out like I want it.
Thats slick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts