Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do to ensure longevity, at a detail such as this, where a cross-gabled roof has its valleys end over hips?

We plan for copper valley flashing, and think the valley needs to have a fabricated transition at its end out over the top of the hip.

Location is snow and ice country.

Attachments

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,890 Posts
I would cover the hip with ice & water shield before installing the ridge caps and of course have that part fully completed before starting the valley.
I'd also weave the first 2 or 3 courses in the valleys.

·
Roofer
681 Posts
You might want to consider looking into custom made splash guards for your gutters also, that valley run off is probably going to over shoot the gutters because all the water is being funneled to that one spot and than opened up and allowed to run free again.

I would think a splash guard as much as 24" in either direction of the corner,
thus a normal/standard splash guard probably would not be very appealing.

I agree with the weaving at the start of the valley also, I always weave the first course on any type of closed cut valley and some times the first two.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That design is going to cause problems for more than just the roofing. If it absolutely has to stay like that (for purely non-functional purposes of course) one would need to envelope the entire area before proceeding with any roofing or siding. Then stuff the architect into the eaves below for some heavy duty diverter action!:clap:

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Seems realatively simple, although time consuming, especially if the eave is as it appears here.... nonexistent.

Could you incorporate the porch roof to wall flashings behind the siding and fascia board into a valley pan installed in the same manner to accommodate the heavy ice build you will get at the bottom of the valley?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts