Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you use? It's about a 15" span at it's tallest. As you can see the homeowner did their own repair that for some reason didn't work :blink:

There is no home wrap or step flashing and there is way more silicone then you'd ever want to see near shingles. I was gonna do the step flashing and ice and water shield and I didn't know if I should just bend a piece of aluminum to cover the house or if I should get siding and j so I can side it correctly. The flashing would be so much faster so that's my preference but I don't know if that's too far a span.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Flashing Or Siding?

Flashing and siding over the flashing have the vinyl siding level and don't just slap on a strip if siding

·
Registered
15,259 Posts
Is the last picture a side view of the top? Cant tell whats going on.

Give them a price to side it correctly if you want but the lack of step flashing is the main problem. I dont see a full panel of siding allowing water, ugly yes....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input! Tom definitely the lack of step flashing is problem 1. I will talk to the homeowner and tell him our best method would be to reside it and do it right. I just didn't know if it was a short enough run that flashing would be okay... 15" on one side and about 11" on the other side.. The house I'm working on is a "flip" So I'm the GC taking care of the whole project. The guy paying for the flip is definitely a penny pincher so I didn't know which would be more cost effective yet effective.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey, I looked at a similar problem once that the homeowner tried to fix, the thought was if a tube of Black Jack is good, a case would be better. Water was pouring into the house. I gave him a price and he thought it was to much and said he would just let it leak.

I would installice and warer shield up the transition, install step flashing anid siding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts