Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a little side work for a customer and I have a questions that hopefully someone can help me with. The house they live in used to have a concrete slab carport. The previous owner had the carport enclosed and made into a spare room. The contractor put the plate and the studs directly on the slab and also did not use sheathing on the outside. When it rains hard the water sits right there on that wall and the water seeps in under the sill plate and soaks the carpet, pad, insulation and drywall. I know I need to flash this to keep the water out but I am not exactly sure how to do this without tearing down the existing wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok. My name is Jeff Schall and I build pole barns. I have owned two previous companies where I was in business with family members but they both went bad. So now I work alone. I have never come across a situation like the one I described earlier and the reason I asked the question is because the owner does not want the entire thing tore down. Therefore I need some tips on how to flash this existing wall. Thanks

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
I have converted and repaired your exact disaster a few times.
I had tons of pics on the repairs but lost them all when my PC crashed. So I’ll give a quick written procedure. I also did the same on my house a few years ago. I’ll take some pics tomorrow & post
On the inside and outside remove enough siding & sheetrock to expose the top coarse of block plus some extra room to work.
Cut your studs & install a new sill. Then run a course of block, Porge & tar.
The whole project minus spackle should only take a few hours

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I have converted and repaired your exact disaster a few times.
I had tons of pics on the repairs but lost them all when my PC crashed. So I’ll give a quick written procedure. I also did the same on my house a few years ago. I’ll take some pics tomorrow & post
On the inside and outside remove enough siding & sheetrock to expose the top coarse of block plus some extra room to work.
Cut your studs & install a new sill. Then run a course of block, Porge & tar.
The whole project minus spackle should only take a few hours

I think you might need a sky hook for this procedure...:whistling

If your addition is sitting in a hole, it is going to be really tough getting any fix to work long term.

You might look into the whole weather control thing...:thumbup:

Reactions: Tinstaafl

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
I’m not following you?
Just to clarify that we are all on the same page here.
In this pic we extended the width of the garage, same concept as if you closing in the garage
Most houses, depending on the age and if the slab has settled, have pitched garage floors. Also the driving way leading to the garage would be slopped as well, correct?
Is there is a foundation that the house sits on? All your doing is filling in the missing block.

Attachments

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,833 Posts
Good solution. Problem is Dave, I think that's way over and above what Jeff's ready to deal with. Just sayin'.

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
I am doing a little side work for a customer and I have a questions that hopefully someone can help me with. The house they live in used to have a concrete slab carport. The previous owner had the carport enclosed and made into a spare room. The contractor put the plate and the studs directly on the slab and also did not use sheathing on the outside. When it rains hard the water sits right there on that wall and the water seeps in under the sill plate and soaks the carpet, pad, insulation and drywall. I know I need to flash this to keep the water out but I am not exactly sure how to do this without tearing down the existing wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Dig, install drainage, grade, export.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts