Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When attaching a deck to a house that has aluminum siding on it, what is the most practical way to get behind the siding to flash properly, without ripping off the whole side of the house from the top down, and having it look well when done?

·
Registered
136 Posts
JR
Can you provide more information?

At some point the home owner will probably want to change the Aluminum to a more modern siding. I would try to allow for this future change by making the deck free standing if that is possible.
Bill T

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BThomas said:
JR Can you provide more information? At some point the home owner will probably want to change the Aluminum to a more modern siding. I would try to allow for this future change by making the deck free standing if that is possible. Bill T
This is for my fiancées grandparents. Probably not going to change the siding. Why they're building a deck now, and not 30 years ago? Beats me.

I would do a freestanding, but there is a slab patio below.

Wall Furniture Grass Tree Table

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,038 Posts
Can you make a Z piece to go up under the starter ? Not ideal but it would be better then nothing or tearing it off. Another thing could do is have a elastomer coating sprayed on to seal it up . It can be colored pretty much any color. We have had decks done with it first then sided over.

·
Registered
136 Posts
JR
I would still do a free standing deck.
There will not be enough headroom under the new deck to be usable.
Saw cut the concrete where the footers for the posts will be - say 16" X 16" large enough for you to dig but small enough to finish off after the foundation concrete is poured. Bring the sono tubes or forming just 4" over the existing concrete level and add the post brackets. After the concrete sets you can pour around the new foundation piers flush to the patio and it will still have a finished look.
Bill T

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
If they want you to build it, don't let them tell you how. If there are any issues, you'll hear about forever, and ever.

Build freestanding, or don't build. Problem solved.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I don't understand the problem.

Remove the siding, install the ledger, tuck the flashing up behind the siding and over the ledger.

WHAT ? You do not have to take all the siding off, just the area below the ledger.

J.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,038 Posts
remove the siding to the next full course,flash and install trim
Looks really nice Tom,is that a vinyl /pvc board? I really like that band board on the bottom . Am going to do that on my house and office. How did you flash the top edge? I was thinking of making a Z piece for mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts