Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New member here. Looks like there is a lot of talent here on this forum, now to pick your brains.

I'm working with salvaged structural steel on a small building. Some of the beams have some sweep. None have camber. One has a slight parallelogram. I've seen beams flame straightened in dramatic ways. I've taken all of the sweep out of 3 W8x31s with my rosebud. It works great on the weak axis.

Question: I need to work out a the slight parallelogram in an S15x42.9. The flanges are parallel at one end but out of alignment by 3/16". Has anyone here flame straightened such a misalignment? Any idea what heat pattern to use?

This is an awesome skill to learn and I hope to do a lot more work with salvaged structural steel.

-Cheers, Adair

·
Registered
21 Posts
Becoming a lost art.
I see you are in WA, what part? I know a retired Iron Worker out of Olympia that was legendary for that...... Might be able to coax him into giving advice for some beer or Crown....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,

I got distracted and didn't follow up on this topic. I had some old fella's look at the problem and we just put a come-along across the beam to the end of a perpendicular beam and we twisted it back with a little bit of heat on opposite flanges. No problem and my structural engineer approved. Don't get to have that much fun every day.

-A.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts