Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been asked to correct a mess that an in house crew started.

They applied dry eraser paint to the drywall a few months ago and to this date, its some what tacky , and the board it useless. How Can i correct something like this without ripping out the drywall. Any special primer sealer that i can use?

·
30 year novice
547 Posts
Is it the black board paint that they used? What is the finish that is under it? The only thing I can think of why it's still tacky is that it's an 2 stage epoxy and they didn't mix it properly. Maybe try a test of Cover Stain and BIN and see how it dries and sticks.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If it is still tacky after a few months I can't imagine that putting anything over it is going to solve the problem. Will it scrape off? then maybe try using a reducer to wipe off what remains? If that would happen to work and the surface dried ok I would then prime the drywall with oil Kilz etc.

Nothing says any of that would work so as much as you don't want to I think I would lean towards replacing the drywall. It will be fixed right.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Good luck.
Exactly. XIM solvent based primer is probably you're best bet, and even that is questionable.

Maybe use Zinsser BIN to create a "hard shell coating" for whatever finish paint is used (if BIN even sticks). You'll probably be able to poke thru it with a pencil tho. Like I said... it'd be only a "shell coating". If the surfaces don't get banged around a lot, then...hazzah!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts