Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Commercial Renovation (a.k.a. Tenant Improvement 'round here).
Video Giant will now become a Fitness Club (I will keep it unnamed until Owner decides to start advertising).

Looking in the entrance: All the tiles are being replaced. Carpet is staying for now. will be hardwood next year.

A new 10x10 office is going in the corner in the front.

This room will be split in two: Men and women's changerooms with a shower stall. Tile everywhere.

This hallway will lose the door, and an arch in it's place, and duplicated on the other side for the other changeroom. All tiles replaced, nice paint over the whole club.

Plus another office and storage room in the back. Our goal is to be done by the new year. As long as the city hurries up with the permits it should go ahead of our goal.

I was posting these in the "post pictures of your current job" thread, but there was at least someone who wanted updates on the progress.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
how much are you getting the mats for? way to expensive here in Toronto, my friend is opening a DOJO and i will be doing some small stuff there and we are spending wayyyy to much on training mats

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The owner is bringing in some rubberized something of some sort that comes in 6' lengths. I don't know what he is paying.

We've started ripping up the carpet for the back area there where the rubber floor will go. His club is a franchise so I think he can get discounted prices through them for a lot of the "fitness" type materials and equipment.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
The owner is bringing in some rubberized something of some sort that comes in 6' lengths. I don't know what he is paying.

We've started ripping up the carpet for the back area there where the rubber floor will go. His club is a franchise so I think he can get discounted prices through them for a lot of the "fitness" type materials and equipment.

6 years i went to open a small studio gym ..........1000 sq ft and the mats then was $45/ sq ft my friend is telling me hes paying more because these are mats to fight on, ....but my old Gym boss say he got his cheaper, so im thinking i haven't meet the rite people yet..................................................can you do me a favor and ask your guy how much hes is getting it for and where, thanks

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6 years i went to open a small studio gym ..........1000 sq ft and the mats then was $45/ sq ft my friend is telling me hes paying more because these are mats to fight on, ....but my old Gym boss say he got his cheaper, so im thinking i haven't meet the rite people yet..................................................can you do me a favor and ask your guy how much hes is getting it for and where, thanks
Fighting mats would definitely be more expensive. They are way different.

It's funny how talking about fighting mats can make me nostalgic. reminds me of my last year of high school... I had special permission from he principal, because I had enough credits to graduate, I only had to go to school until noon, and then I went to train kung fu up the street. My sifu had given me keys so I could go, and train for the rest of the day.

Just reminds me of lying down on the fighting mats panting for breath and sweating and nobody else in the world there but me...

:laughing: ah, the good ole days

·
Don
1,322 Posts
:laughing: ah, the good ole days[/quote]

Tell me about it, im so busy now i never got to accomplish anything that i liked except construction, when i started it was just a hobby, then i mastered each section because i got bored i moved on to other construction to become a General contractor and still there is lots to learn just like the Arts, i guess i got the discipline from the arts to master each one :whistling

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
i just finished adding in 2 rooms to a small gym. we added a piliates and yoga room with a bath and a massage room, then gave the rest of the gym a face lift with new paint and new carpet. a gym is a different kind of job.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We had to put some on the top to get the Tbar up, but still have to leave the walls open for inspection.

It's kind of tricky because we are trying to do all we can up to a certain point. The municipality is making it difficult and the whole permit process is a pain when it comes to commercial. Now we are waiting for the mech. eng. before we do any plumbing, then inspection then we can move along again without hinderance. :blink:

We are getting close to the point where my guys will work themselves out of a job until the mech. drawings are done.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
p.s. it also wasn't I who did it, but my carpenter :thumbup:

I haven't really done anything myself other than drop off materials, and help load my trailer to bring to the dump. Only thing I'm going to be involved in is doing the showers, tilesetting, and making the benches for the changeroom.

I've pretty much stepped into a management role since hiring the guys. I do the paperwork, I do the selling, I deal with the customers. My lead carpenter has over 20 years experience, he's a hard worker, and even used to teach carpentry at college.

The labourer was an apprentice in another province, has over 4 years experience doing finish carpentry and is very good at it. His apprenticeship isn't recognized in this province, so he is only a "helper/labourer" for now. I'm gonna register him as an apprentice if we've got him for over 90 days. It's good for him and it's good for me. There are tax benefits for having apprentices.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts