Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering that over 75% of people start their search for a contractor over the Internet, wise contractors will want to establish a strong presence there. The best thing about the Internet is that it is so inexpensive for a small businessperson to form a website available for the world to see. Unfortunately the worst thing about the Internet is that is so easy to start a website and hence, so crowded. It makes no difference how well done your website is if no one can find it.

The best way I have found to immediately drive a herd of customers to your website is through paid advertising. If you do a search on Google or Yahoo, you will see listings on the top and down the right side of the page with paid listings. Pay Per Click Marketing is a science of its own but a contractor can make a spectacular return on investment just by knowing the basics.

The first step in a Pay Per Click Campaign is finding relevant keywords terms to find great keywords. There are limitless numbers of word-tracking tools, but lets say however you wanted to advertise to prospects who were good candidates for a bathroom renovation. What would these people search for: The term "bathrooms" is too broad. While you would definitely find some people who are looking for a bathroom renovation, you would also come across many browsers looking for a new toilet seat that click on your ad because they thought: "oh, maybe I'll remodel the bathroom someday too, I wonder what that costs?" That is a horrible situation because you pay every time someone clicks on your ad, and browsers can eat up ad budget quickly. A more focused keyword to advertise to would be "bathroom remodeling + Boston, MA" That is a really focused term and someone who types a search phrase that closely is apt to be a very good candidate to invest pay per click money in. A terrific free keyword tool can be used here: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

The next step in a successful ad campaign is creating compelling ad copy. If you put up an ad that says: "Great Service, Great Prices, Bathroom Remodeling," you are likely to produce a bored yawn from your prospect. Is that exciting or does the ad seem unrealistic that someone would have both the terrific service at rock bottom prices in the remodeling industry. You only get one second of your prospect's attention and this just failed. A more compelling headline might be "How Much Does a Bathroom Renovation Cost in Boston?" Now you have identified a major a major question your prospect is asking him or herself. We have found that headlines that identify what a prospect is thinking tend to outperform the boring ads in the first example by a factor of 10. That is a serious difference.

No Contractor should try to master the intricacies of pay per click marketing and try to run a business at the same time; at the highest level pay per click can be as complicated as rocket science. Yet, using simple techniques like relevant keyword research and creating compelling ad copy can produce terrific results. Pay Per Click Advertising is still the focal point of my marketing at my company - ZN Custom Building. Pay Per Click can pay huge dividends and in this economy, it can mean the difference between success and failure.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Considering that over 75% of people start their search for a contractor over the Internet, wise contractors will want to establish a strong presence there.
While I agree a website is a powerful tool.

75% number is hogwash. I think that number is misleading. If you define "start their search" better I think the relationship of a website to leads or even solds is way, way lower. Probably closer to 30%.

I routinely sell to people that have never seen our website. And I know because I ask every single lead if they have.

·
Registered
992 Posts

75% number is hogwash. I think that number is misleading. If you define "start their search" better I think the relationship of a website to leads or even solds is way, way lower. Probably closer to 30%.

I routinely sell to people that have never seen our website. And I know because I ask every single lead if they have.

Although i'm sure the number is high i don't believe for a second that it is 75%.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It would be interesting to see if somebody actually polled a segment of home owners who'd recently gone through some sort of contracting project. Ask them how they found the contractor of their choice.

While 75% might seem a little high it's not all that unrealistic... While 3 out of 4 people might not START their search for a contractor online I will bet you 3 out of 4 will RESEARCH contractors online at some point in their decision making process...

My 2 cents...

Carl Sorensen

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think that the internet is becoming the new yellow pages. i.e. tire-kickers, price-shoppers,

Not mention that the rules change daily. Everybody is there. ect. ect.

That being said, I would not go without. Just be ready to quailify

·
Multi-tradesman defender
390 Posts
It would be interesting to see if somebody actually polled a segment of home owners who'd recently gone through some sort of contracting project. Ask them how they found the contractor of their choice.

While 75% might seem a little high it's not all that unrealistic... While 3 out of 4 people might not START their search for a contractor online I will bet you 3 out of 4 will RESEARCH contractors online at some point in their decision making process...

My 2 cents...

Carl Sorensen
This is a good comment that has some merit to it. I don't know about pay per click, but I tend to research every thing online. If a company doesn't have a website, I get frustrated and tend to move on to the next listing.

75% or 30% is irrelevant. If 10% of your business comes from your website, it is important enough to generate quality leads.

I bet it is less than 30% of consumers who look for a contractor online.

I aslo bet it will be another 10 years before it is 75% or more.
If it is another 10 years, think how far ahead of the game you will be by learning now.

70% of my business from 2002-2006 was all Website leads.
That is the kind of data you can't argue with.

Who is actually using pay per click ads and finding the investment paying off? I would love to see this thread turn into a back and forth between those that do and those that don't, and why?

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
I got lucky and had a website back when contractors could not even spell website.

When I first moved to DC I did know anyone or anything and I searched for everything online. I have always been very computer friendly.

When I started my business I just thought to put it on line about 1-2 years after being in business I think it was 2000 or 2002.

Most people in DC are not from here so they don't know anyone or what business to chose from. So they turn to the net or yellow pages.

That put me in a hell of a lead compared to most contractors who where not computer friendly back then

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
RBS said:
70% of my business from 2002-2006 was all Website leads.

That's because you cheat.

What? :blink: How do I cheat?

You pay people to click on your ad. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Only if they ask for a discount. :whistling

·
Proprietor
1,847 Posts
I don't know about that 75% number, but here are real statistics:

• 80% of Americans' disposable income is spent within 5 miles of their home.
• 44% of businesses located within that 5 mile radius do not have a web site.
• 63% of consumer purchases - for services or products - is preceded by at least one internet search.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Understand this

--- if you do zero advertising and have no website - 100% of your leads will be referrals.

I guess that means that 100% of people who buy home improvements do it by asking someone else who they would recommend.

--- If do do zero advertising and have a website that is highly positioned in the search engines a large percentage of your leads will come from your website..

I guess that means a very large percentage of people who buy home improvements do it by searching the internet.

--- if you do a tremendous amount of advertising and have no website - a very large % of your leads will be from advertising.

I guess that means that most people who buy home improvements do it as a result of advertising.

--- Now if you've got anything larger then a pea brain (and I know we all do), you can follow the logic that when these 75% numbers and blanket statements are thrown around about contractors being hired because of one thing, be it advertising, referrals, word of mouth or the internet that the can't make any sense.

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Statistics make my brain hurt.
Find what you like and stick with it, for me at this time its getting my show truck out to mini-malls and vendor parking lots, then my website. Soon to be followed with my free coffee mailer to the closest 100 addresses to an ongoing job. So if I do get that lead I'm already present in the area.
Not fancy, but it is a plan.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Find what you like and stick with it, for me at this time its getting my show truck out to mini-malls and vendor parking lots, then my website. Soon to be followed with my free coffee mailer to the closest 100 addresses to an ongoing job. So if I do get that lead I'm already present in the area.

I would like to know what you put in that WoW coffee that makes people buy a new bathroom. (is it a laxative?)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I would like to know what you put in that WoW coffee that makes people buy a new bathroom. (is it a laxative?)

Now, that's a very good idea, why didn't anyone think of it!?.. Yes, customers after drink coffee will try out in action ...the brand new, shining show-room toitlet sitting above dat portable johny-be-seat

..Ah,,, what a KOOL, comfortable chilling water below splashing the chicken thighs :shutup::w00t:...etc.... Oh yeah , definitely.... they will sure call for a toilet upgrade???.. :whistling:thumbup::laughing:

·
Multi-tradesman defender
390 Posts
Are there any pictures of your portable showroom?

I did a search and didn't see anything. I guess I will check your website. If not, maybe your could post some. I irk the idea. Coffee is big eight now too, so that is great for marketing. How is it being received by people?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts