Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember someone from Chicago posted a type of electrical fish tape for conduit that looked like a thick guitar string. I normally use vinyl coated steel cable fish tape for conduit, but with 15K feet to fish and over 200 device boxes I need to stock up on the best.

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
Yeah, that is the Sparks fishtape. My first one lasted through several large jolts and nearly 15 years of HEAVY use and abuse. When it finally came time to get a new one I bought the exact same one.

However I went through 4 of them within the first six months. They are pretty much crap now. The braided wires splinter and get stuck, and the ends fall off all the time.

They used to be made by a local guy but I think he sold out to Garvin or someone a couple years ago.

I no longer can recommend them.

If someone has a new brand that is worthwhile, I'm all ears. For now I'm using the Klein plastic one with the metal end but those kink easily and are also pretty much crap unless you baby them.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that is the Sparks fishtape. My first one lasted through several large jolts and nearly 15 years of HEAVY use and abuse. When it finally came time to get a new one I bought the exact same one.

However I went through 4 of them within the first six months. They are pretty much crap now. The braided wires splinter and get stuck, and the ends fall off all the time.

They used to be made by a local guy but I think he sold out to Garvin or someone a couple years ago.

I no longer can recommend them.

If someone has a new brand that is worthwhile, I'm all ears. For now I'm using the Klein plastic one with the metal end but those kink easily and are also pretty much crap unless you baby them.
That's the one I was thinking of!

These are my new favorite, I've been using it for a year and a half now:

http://www.idealindustries.ca/products/prodSelect.php?prodId=31-090&div=5&l1=fish_tapes&l1b=zoom

It's a smooth vinyl coated stranded steel tape, really happy with it. I bought it when I had a 4 story apartment to fish and the electrician piped it ENTIRELY in LIQUID TIGHT!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just grab SS fish tape...

Stranded is like trying to phuck after a long Friday night drinking.
Get a laborer to fish all the lines and leave you drags ;-/
SS or blue steel tapes are useless for conduit. If I have a really long run I'll bring the compressor and blow a dart. I've been seriously considering this little guy but I can't find one damn review on it, and I'd like to know it works before dropping a grand on it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
SS or blue steel tapes are useless for conduit. If I have a really long run I'll bring the compressor and blow a dart. I've been seriously considering this little guy but I can't find one damn review on it, and I'd like to know it works before dropping a grand on it.
A cordless shop vac and masons line works for me, just put a parachute type piece of plastic bag on th end of the line.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A cordless shop vac and masons line works for me, just put a parachute type piece of plastic bag on th end of the line.
Once you try blowing you will go back to sucking...take that to the bank.:laughing:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I've been seriously considering this little guy but I can't find one damn review on it, and I'd like to know it works before dropping a grand on it.
I have it and it really works. I spent $1500 on mine because it has a 10-gallon shop vac instead of that little blower/sucker thing.

My advice would be to just get the $250 kit that just has the foam plugs, string, and hose attachments ONLY. Then get a separate shop vac.

Reactions: Inner10

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have it and it really works. I spent $1500 on mine because it has a 10-gallon shop vac instead of that little blower/sucker thing.

My advice would be to just get the $250 kit that just has the foam plugs, string, and hose attachments ONLY. Then get a separate shop vac.
Thanks Ted, I was thinking more the portable blower because it's easier to lug up stairs than the big ass shop vac....but if it's a turkey I'm not going to bother.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Plastic shopping bag and a piece of string with a shop vac works too!

·
Registered
6,819 Posts

that's pretty pricy for a hair dryer and some foam :blink:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts